cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reaging a charged off acct, how to fight it?

tag
RoverC
Valued Member

Reaging a charged off acct, how to fight it?

So about 7 years ago I had some major health issues which led to the closure and charge off of some cards 6.5 years ago now

I have been slowly rebuilding my life but now this happens

I have a NFCU charge off, DOLP was just over 6.5 years ago

Well I still have(had) a checking and saving acct, with a whopping $1 in it. Havnt used it in forever

Well I get a letter last month stating "Thank you for your payment towards your collection account"

Of course I did NO such thing. What they did is take the $1 out of the acct, applied it to the charge off without my knowledge or consent, and now the NEW DOLP is Oct 2022!

Is there anything I can do about this at all, or am I now stuck another 7 years? I will NEVER offer them a dime, especially after this.

Anyone?

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Reaging a charged off acct, how to fight it?

Credit unions will take from one account to pay another when things go bad. Its not the DoLP that determines when it will fall off your reports. Its the DoFD or the first 30 day late that led to the CO. Nothing can change that date. So check your reports and look for the first 30, 60, 90, 120, and then CO. The 30 day late is the DoFD. Plus your real credit reports from annualcreditreport.com will show fall off date. Its the update of that account that did you in with the payment.

If your within 6 months of falling off you can ask for EE from TU.

Message 2 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

As far as being able to report it on your CRs its one 7-7.5 year run and then it can never legally be reported again. You might want to check your states SOL laws to see if by chance this resets SOL.

Message 3 of 4
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

It's not reaged. Just updated. And no, it won't stay on another 7 years. 

As for whether they can legally do this, most likely yes, as most CUs have a cross-collateralization policy (meaning they can use available funds in a checking or savings for debt) in place for cases like this (defaulting on a CC). You'd have to refer back to your paperwork from when you first opened the account. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.