Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuild Complete

tag
cem13
Established Contributor

Rebuild Complete

Well, I can officially report that my rebuild is complete after 15 long years.  Last week I shared by scores that reached 800 on all 3 CRAs. After reaching 800+ (goal 1 of 2), I applied and approved for Chase SR ($19,600/22.74%) (goal 2 of 2).  This is my Unicorn card.  I burned Chase 15 years ago, ironically for $19,623, the same SL they approved me for today.  Today my total CL is 2X my yearly salary, which is fine for me.

My backstory is in 2007 I lost my high-paying automotive engineering job due to the poor economy.  I was forced to take lesser and lesser paying jobs to keep the lights on.  I did not have much of a emergency stash (lesson learned).  Then the financial stress caused a divorce.  Then add some short-term but high-stress medical issues.  I tried to keep the juggling in-play but eventially this tri-fecta forced me to file BK7 in JAN 2011.

I started by following exactly the steps in the "BK7 to 700" thread.  My CRAs were a mess but I was persistant and had them cleaned up by 2014 (3 years is way to long to fix their errors).  Even today, EQ is still incorrect but in my favor which adds 20 points to my score compared to the other two.  Then I was very aware of the interest rate being charged by CC and P/Ls.  I took advantage of Navy Fed and Pen Fed's BT promotions every year.

This community helped me learn 1) that it is always darkest before the dawn 2) financial responsibility and 3) regardless of your situation, always strive for self improvement (I studied and received another certification during that time-frame).

Today:  My wife and I reconciled.  She jokingly says she felt sorry for me but I think she let me back home because of my cooking skills.  It certainly was not for my "good looks".  My latest medical exam shows I am fit as a fiddle.  I am ready to retire early at year's end; although the wife is nervous due to the recent economic disasters we face today. Since I am work from home, I continue to increse my wealth by day-trading options.  We will have the house paid for at the end of the year (debt free).  I have a $20,000 emergency fund some of which are invested in precious metals so I do not lose value due to inflation.

My rebuild recommendations: 

1) BK7 is a "GOOD" tool, so use it if you need it.  Do not get so stressed out that it affects your physical and mental health. 

2) Knowledge is power.  I am so much better off now than before my journey.  

3) Do not be afraid to ask for help on this forum or others.

4) Live within your means.  I stopped trading in my car every 2 years.  I stopped going to the up-scale restaurants.  

5) Stop paying CC interest.  It kills you over the long term.  Use BTs and get the debt paid off.  

6) Get an emergency fund (6 months expenses is the rule).  Take on a small second job if you must.

7) Invest the left over money into an S&P 500 index fund every month.  It will dollar cost average.  In 10-15 years, you will be amazed at your progress, just like I am at my journey.

FICO 08 JUL23: TU 850; EQ 846; EX 843. Clean since BK7 D/C 6/2011.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
MySunrise271
Established Contributor

Re: Rebuild Complete

Congratulations on your pending retirement and all successes now and to come🎉🎉🎉

Message 2 of 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congrats on the journey. Way to go.

Message 3 of 11
Suzette2
Frequent Contributor

Totally awesome post.  I aspire to this!!! I'm setting the stage for the long road back after a similar life experience.  Hope you'll stick around and help us still trying to get out of the mud.  Best wishes! 

6/20 :12/22 :
Message 4 of 11
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Great story and congratulations on your success!

maxresdefault.jpg

Message 5 of 11
HindSight_20_20
Frequent Contributor

Great work here! And congratulations on a fantastic reward for a long but focused journey.  Well done!

Goal Score: EX 700|TU 700|EQ700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

HiltonHonors AMEX 2K | Amazon Store CC $800 | Bed Bath & Beyond 2K | Lowes CC 11K | Cap 1 Secured $500 | Cap 1 Plat $300 | Cap 1 Savor 1K |Citi Secured $200 | Target $500 | Kohl's $1K | Truist Cashback 4.5K | Penfed Power Cash Back 3.5K |Apple Pay CC 3K | Venmo Sig Visa 7.5K | SECU 13.5K | Bragg Mutual FCU 10K | Best Buy Citi Visa $2.5K | DiscoverIT CB 11.5K
Message 6 of 11
cem13
Established Contributor

@Suzette2 wrote:

Totally awesome post.  I aspire to this!!! I'm setting the stage for the long road back after a similar life experience.  Hope you'll stick around and help us still trying to get out of the mud.  Best wishes! 

I will be around this board to help others.  It is a "pay it forward".  There were so many people that helped me 10-15 years ago.  I could not do it without them.  Now it is my turn to help and share the wealth.  

Credit knowledge is not taught in high schools and barely taught in colleges.  I have an MBA and we had one chapter to discuss the basics of credit reporting.  What a shame.  This is further proof the public schools systems are failing by my teaching the basics of financial responsibility.

FICO 08 JUL23: TU 850; EQ 846; EX 843. Clean since BK7 D/C 6/2011.
Message 7 of 11
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congrats on the rebuild! Amazing story!

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 11
righthererightnow
Frequent Contributor

CONGRATS!!!! This is powerful, and it gives me hope too (thank you)!

Message 9 of 11
SB_F
Contributor

Excellent job. My story has way too many similarities to yours. Problems started in 2007 as well only my wife died, and my daughter had major medical issues. I went BK13 (business taxes prevented BK7) and I held off until 2013 to file (big mistake delaying!). At the BK13 magic date of 5 years after discharge, all three scores went to 850 and then varied from 836 to 850. I applied for Ollo, Barclays and C1 with CL of $1200 to $2200. Only Ollo has gone up significantly. also used preapproval for Discover but was rejected (burned for $16K). I waited a year and joined/applied at Penfed and got instant $25K Visa with 2% back on everything. Did the same thing 9 months later at NFCU and got instant $25K AMEX with 3% on grocery stores, gas and restaraunts. Scores are now at 810 to 835 as some good history has aged off even though I have missed a payment or carried a balance or ever exceeded 7% of any one card's CL. I'm satisfied with that. I've been thinking about a Chase Amazon card (or Chase IHG as I travel small towns for work where there is always a Holiday Inn Express). But I never considered it much because I burned them for $22K. Your story makes me think. I don't really need higher CLs as I don't use them and don't plan to. I still don't see the befefit of $300K in CC CL, when I have way more that in equity in main and vacation houses. That much cc credit available is like carrying around a super valueable, non-insurable, very breakable heirloom. No tangible benefits to gain from it, but a hell of a lot to lose and a risk to boot. I agree using the BK system to get out of trouble is a smart and wise thing to do. But then setting yourself up in a similar situation just doesn't seem wise.

BK13 filed 11/2013 discharged 6/2019
Oct 2019 EQ 672 TU 643 EX 663
Julu 2021 EQ 840 TU 828 EX 819
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.