Did you mean: 

Rebuild stuck

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuild stuck

Hello,

First time post...

You all are GREAT and I've found some really good advice so far, but I thought that maybe sharing my own specifics might give me better guidance. 

I've been on the rebuild path about 2-3 years now, post divorce. Maybe I'm being impatient, but it seems my scores will not move past the lower to mid 600s. Starting scores in April of 2017 were TU 619 EX 625 EQ 616. Current scores are TU 622 EX 613 EQ 618. Been as low as 602 with activity, then they rise again. I think 640 has been the highest. That lasted about 20 days. Smiley Sad  Uti has been up and down but usually within 20-35%, AA is 2 years 7 mos. Payment history is 99-98% with one 30D back in 2015. Should I goodwill? The 98% is more recent due to a 120 reporting Jan 2018. It is now current. I know, screwed the pooch on that one but it really was an oversite. Forgot to forward new mailing info to the instrument rental company. Hoping I can get back in their good graces and have this goodwilled also.

All CL are relativley small and some have CLI but again, slowly. I have reports from annualcreditreport and CCT. There are baddies I knew of and that is where I could use more advice. TU 4, EQ 4 and EX 3, maybe 4 (each report shows different). 3 are medical. One regular appears it will SOL early 2019.  How should I address these items? Below are my accts and status/activity. Wanted DISCOVER It, but got denied on prequal after the 120 late. Live and learn....

Thank you all so much in advance and I look forward to any words of wisdom. Please feel free to ask for clarifications, too!

*Cap1 Plat converted to QS in October (SL 500, now 750).

*Secured Cap1 500. (OLDEST CARD) Got this one pre-graduation offers. No need to explain anymore on that one. Smiley Very Happy

*Merrick SL $400 current $800. 

*First Progress Mastercard Secured $300.Will only CLI with additional deposit.....Considering closing but it's 1 of my oldest. 2 being the CAP1 Sec.

*Kohls SL $400 CLI to $700. (have tried for a couple more and been denied)

*VS SL $350 CLI to $500 (in March)

*NY&C SL $400 CLI to $600

*WAYFAIR SL $500 

*Conn's financing. Not a card. Current, no lates

*NAVIENT student loans current

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuild stuck

@Anonymouswrote:

Hello,

First time post...

You all are GREAT and I've found some really good advice so far, but I thought that maybe sharing my own specifics might give me better guidance. 

I've been on the rebuild path about 2-3 years now, post divorce. Maybe I'm being impatient, but it seems my scores will not move past the lower to mid 600s. Starting scores in April of 2017 were TU 619 EX 625 EQ 616. Current scores are TU 622 EX 613 EQ 618. Been as low as 602 with activity, then they rise again. I think 640 has been the highest. That lasted about 20 days. Smiley Sad  Uti has been up and down but usually within 20-35%, AA is 2 years 7 mos. Payment history is 99-98% with one 30D back in 2015. Should I goodwill? The 98% is more recent due to a 120 reporting Jan 2018. It is now current. I know, screwed the pooch on that one but it really was an oversite. Forgot to forward new mailing info to the instrument rental company. Hoping I can get back in their good graces and have this goodwilled also.

All CL are relativley small and some have CLI but again, slowly. I have reports from annualcreditreport and CCT. There are baddies I knew of and that is where I could use more advice. TU 4, EQ 4 and EX 3, maybe 4 (each report shows different). 3 are medical. One regular appears it will SOL early 2019.  How should I address these items? Below are my accts and status/activity. Wanted DISCOVER It, but got denied on prequal after the 120 late. Live and learn....

Thank you all so much in advance and I look forward to any words of wisdom. Please feel free to ask for clarifications, too!

*Cap1 Plat converted to QS in October (SL 500, now 750).

*Secured Cap1 500. (OLDEST CARD) Got this one pre-graduation offers. No need to explain anymore on that one. Smiley Very Happy

*Merrick SL $400 current $800. 

*First Progress Mastercard Secured $300.Will only CLI with additional deposit.....Considering closing but it's 1 of my oldest. 2 being the CAP1 Sec.

*Kohls SL $400 CLI to $700. (have tried for a couple more and been denied)

*VS SL $350 CLI to $500 (in March)

*NY&C SL $400 CLI to $600

*WAYFAIR SL $500 

*Conn's financing. Not a card. Current, no lates

*NAVIENT student loans current

Hello and welcome to the board Smiley Happy I'm still working on my credit as well and currently in the garden. At this point in your journey, I think you should join us there. One thing that may help you gain a few points, sooner rather than later, is lowering your utilization more. Have only one account report with a balance of less than 10% of the limit. Don't apply for any more cards right now (again, come chill in the garden for a little while). As for the medical debts, how old are they? Is it possible to contact the healthcare provider to work out payments or has it been sold or sent to a CA?  Are the accounts with lates now current and/or open? If so, they may be more inclined to approve your GW request. I think with the recency of them, they are probably holding your score down quite a bit.

As for as your current cards, I would definitely close the First Progress. Their history will remain on your report for 10 years, so it won't hurt your AAoA and, from reading their reviews, you will be better off without them. I'm not sure if you can combine a secured limit with unsecured, but if possible, that's what I would do with Capital One. Merrick does well serving as a rebuild card. I would keep them until reaching the next stage of rebuilding. Overall, don't apply for any more cards, especially store cards. Do the AZEO method. Contact your creditors and PFD and GW what you can. Make sure no other baddies hit your reports. The rest is time. Stick around and keep reading the forums . There's tons of really good information here. Good luck on your venture!

Message 2 of 4
tricie17
Frequent Contributor

Close the store cards if warranted.  They are definitely areas that hold you back.  If you need something from a store, use a credit card and pay off before statement cuts.  I really do not know why people have so many store cards when you can not do things like balance transfer; pay other bills as needed; borrow money if needed etc.  Also, secured loans are good starters for higher scores.   Again stay away from the store cards.  One or two may be okay just for stores that you may like, but remember you want your scores up.  NOTE:  Advice given for informational purposes only.

Starting Score: 544
Current Score: 661
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tricie17wrote:

Close the store cards if warranted.  They are definitely areas that hold you back.  If you need something from a store, use a credit card and pay off before statement cuts.  I really do not know why people have so many store cards when you can not do things like balance transfer; pay other bills as needed; borrow money if needed etc.  Also, secured loans are good starters for higher scores.   Again stay away from the store cards.  One or two may be okay just for stores that you may like, but remember you want your scores up.  NOTE:  Advice given for informational purposes only.

Yes, store cards really shouldn't be opened unless they are truly useful. Opening one to save 10% on a single transaction is definitelty not a reason to open them. However, since these store cards are already open and the hard pulls and new account dings to the score have already been taken, there really isn't much need to close them. They likely don't have an annual fee and allow SP CLIs. I don't think OP should add to what they have though.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.