cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilders... What's the first decent credit card you were able to obtain?

tag
thebreeze
Valued Member

Rebuilders... What's the first decent credit card you were able to obtain?

What were your fico scores at the time?
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Zolomon
Regular Contributor

Re: Rebuilders... What's the first decent credit card you were able to obtain?

My first decent card was Capital One's QuickSilver while I was 630ish.

Disclaimer: I had the QuickSilverOne and upgraded to the QuickSilver without a hardpull. I just called the CSR and asked.

Personal cards:

Business cards:

Message 2 of 26
thebreeze
Valued Member

Thanks

Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine was also a Capital One Quicksilver through a mail offer. My FICO at the time was about 625. The CL was $300.00 and I was scared to use the card for the first couple of weeks.

Message 4 of 26
outofcredit
Established Contributor

I started rebuilding around November 2015 and started with Capital One $300 limit cards and added a bunch of low limit shopping cart trick cards around May/June of 2016. I babied those cards, asking for cli's and combining Capital One limits while my scores hovered around 630. My most exciting approval, so far, was when I applied for the USAA Amex Cash Plus card on the 4th of July, 2017. I think I had had one too many glasses of wine and had forgot my scores were only around 630. Much to my surprise, I was approved for a $5000 starting line. I just knew the website was broke and in an effort to get the card in my hands before they realized the malfunction I requested the card be express shipped to me. Two days later my new card arrived via Fedex. Awesome feeling activating it and finding that it actually worked!! I look forward to the day when a $5000 approval won't be such a shock!!

Instead of waiting for the storm to pass, I've learned to dance in the rain.
Message 5 of 26
radfam
Frequent Contributor

10/17 - Very start of my rebuild.  Approved for Cap1 Platinum (chose instead of QS1 so I could PC easier) - $1000 limit.  At the time, EQ 597, EX 619, TU 583.  I had an existing relationship with Cap1 though (current auto loan).  Also Victoria Secret $500 through SCT.

01/18 - Amex Delta Gold $1k and Amex PRG.  TU 597, EQ 603, EX 626.  Also PCd the Cap1 from 10/15 Plat > QS and added $100 SL increase.

Fico 8 as of 03/09/2023:

Message 6 of 26
thebreeze
Valued Member

@radfam You were able to get some love while your scores were still low. I imagine that auto loan and I'm assuming very few late payments or other negative strikes were the key.

Message 7 of 26
radfam
Frequent Contributor

The auto loan I’m sure helped. Cap1 for whatever reason has always been very kind to me. Actually I am probably the very worst at lates. Between auto loans and student loans, there are still 109 lates lingering on my report. I wish I could say that good payment history helped me with them but it didn’t.

Edit to add: No lates at all in the past year. Everything is on autopay and I advocate for everyone else do the same!
Fico 8 as of 03/09/2023:

Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

The first card I got was a Capital One Platinum.  It is now Quicksilver.  I was probably mid 500s back then, 2013-14.  I had been no credit (cash only) for about 10 years, only student loans showing up.

Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

First ones i got when i started my rebuild (4/17) was a discover and cap 1 secured, same day.  about 2-3 weeks later i got an NFCU cashrewards 1k unsecured.   

Scores in Sig... 

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.