cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilders... What's the first decent credit card you were able to obtain?

tag
thebreeze
Valued Member

Re: Rebuilders... What's the first decent credit card you were able to obtain?

Worst credit mistake I ever made was burning NFCU during a tough time while young and dumb...

Message 11 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

Worst credit mistake I ever made was burning NFCU during a tough time while young and dumb...

Sorry man, thats rough..   I know they have been super awesome for me, as well as Penfed, but they are more strict with unsecured cards and loans tho. 

Would they let you do a secured card to show them you have changed? 

Message 12 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

In 2016, I was planning a trip to NYC and Quebec City, so I felt I needed a good card. In February of 2016, I applied for a BoA Travel Rewards card and was instantly approved for SL $1,000 (now $4,500). I think my score was 703 with TU. In May, I got confident and applied for a Delta Skymiles Gold and was approved for SL $2,000 (hasn't changed! Can't remember my score for that.

Message 13 of 26
thebreeze
Valued Member

No, I told them that I'd like to pay the card off in full and hopefully reestablish the relationship at some time. They told me don't worry about paying anything off and also don't worry about trying to come back... ever... lol. Huge loss. Went through some tough times back then...

Message 14 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

My first CC I ever got was when I had no credit history and I was a new member with NavyFed. I went for the CashRewards card and got approved for $500. Let's just say for no credit history I was pretty happy lol. 

Message 15 of 26
thebreeze
Valued Member

So far I'm in the mid to high 500's across the board and only have Opensky (secured), Primor Bank (secured), My Jewelry Club and I'm pending for a secured Discover. LOL, this rebuilding process feels hopeless but I'm sticking to my plans, paying down debt and keeping my utilization at around 10% or so...

Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

My 1st decent card this rebuild was Capital One Platinum in Feb. 2017 for $300, they pulled only TU and it was 533. Eleven months later my Platinum card is now a Quicksilver with a $2250 credit limit.

Message 17 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine was discover it. My scores were around 640 across the board. I still had 1 collection I hadn’t settled, either. But I still think that it was a fluke cause I’ve been denied for almost every card (except cap 1) since.
Message 18 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

First decent CC was my Discover Secured It which I opened in August of last year. I started it off with a $200 and right now I have a limit of $1,000. Oh, I also opened a Citi secured card one week after opening the Discover. It has a $200 limit. At the time my scores were in the high 500s.

Message 19 of 26
Amiashu12
Regular Contributor

I was approved for cap platinum and silver at the same time now both are quick silver. This was around 2015. One card has $3000 and other one has $7000 limit. I m hoping by the end of this year i would have atleast 15K all together. 

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.