Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding Credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding Credit

Hello, 

This is my first post and so glad to be on the journey to rebuild my credit. I'm currently in the low to Mid 500's due to a $10,000 charge off from an apartment  leasing company (2/2016) as well as a dismissed chapter 13 from 2/2016. I never attended or complied with any of the procedings or meetings related to filing other than the initial meeting to file. I had to file due to being laid off from my good paying job and was under employed. Long story short, I landed a new job and didn't need to move forward in BK. I was advised to file to prevent eviction at that time. I have 2 toy cards w/500.00 limits and a AU on a NFCU line of credit (on time) 10k limit and 3 medical collections. I've often heard not to pay medical bills in full or off( 3-4 yrs old).  I assume I would have to wait 7-10 yrs on the BK to fall off.  I would like to purchase a home in 2019. I would appreciate any feedback on options.  Should I negotiate a settlement on the 10Kcharge off and petition the courts on the deletion of the BK?

Thanks

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rebuilding Credit

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, 

This is my first post and so glad to be on the journey to rebuild my credit. I'm currently in the low to Mid 500's due to a $10,000 charge off from an apartment  leasing company (2/2016) as well as a dismissed chapter 13 from 2/2016. I never attended or complied with any of the procedings or meetings related to filing other than the initial meeting to file. I had to file due to being laid off from my good paying job and was under employed. Long story short, I landed a new job and didn't need to move forward in BK. I was advised to file to prevent eviction at that time. I have 2 toy cards w/500.00 limits and a AU on a NFCU line of credit (on time) 10k limit and 3 medical collections. I've often heard not to pay medical bills in full or off( 3-4 yrs old).  I assume I would have to wait 7-10 yrs on the BK to fall off.  I would like to purchase a home in 2019. I would appreciate any feedback on options.  Should I negotiate a settlement on the 10Kcharge off and petition the courts on the deletion of the BK?

Thanks

I would settle that 10K CO you wont be able to close on a home with it not settled and if they get wind you are buying you wont be able to settle for less so make no credit pulls for a mortage until its taken care of. You cannot petition the courts to delete, they do not report them in the first place. The info is either gotten by runners sent to the courthouse from companies like Lexis Nexis or pulled directly from the fed govts public info database. Dismissed can stay around for 10 years but one or two of the CRAs may let them drop at the 7 year mark.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuilding Credit

Thanks You,

I did contact the creditor on a settlement yesterday. I'm in the process of negotiating that and will hopefully settle it for 40% of the debt. I had no intentions of telling them I'm purchasing a home. I knew they would have no reason to negotiate with me if they felt I had the resources to pay in full. I offered 40% for the deletion from all 3 CRA's or include it in a BK7.  They countered w/60%. I declined, I will wait and see what happens in the coming weeks. Hopefully, all will work out.  I look forward to posting a successful settlement. "Ask and it is Given" ~Abraham Hicks

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.