Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding Journey

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding Journey

Hi everyone. First time poster. So here is my story. I have never had good credit in my life. It was ruined when I turned 18 by a family member taking out credit cards and a loan in my name. I found out the person did it even I turned 22 and applied for what I thought would be my first loan. Denied due to collections accounts. I was told by someone that I would have to file a police report and start writing letters. I knew at this point who did this to my credit and I couldn’t bring myself to have them arrested. It was very crappy what they did, but how can you put someone in jail who raised you? My thoughts then. At that point I gave up and didn’t care about my credit (stupid and young). I made poor choices by not paying my bills (all collections were medical bills, didn’t have insurance and stupidly thought that medical bills didn’t affect credit). Now here I am at 37 STILL suffering from dumb choices. I have 11 collections that I am working HARD to get off. 10 are medical bills and one is repo (embarrassment). I started my rebuilding journey in May 2018 and yet more mistakes. I learned about the SCT and went nuts. Hindsight 20:20. While they did boost my scores, I see that this was a mistake and I am ignorant to how to rebuild properly. I have 10 SCTs (only use 1 card). Yes, it’s stupid. Where I am at now is FICO average across board is 560ish. Daily, I research the forum looking for ways to dig out of this. My plan that I am working on is GETTING OUT of a bank and into a credit union. My husband is a vet so we applied for Navy. Waiting to hear back after sending documents. I’m just so overwhelmed and don’t even know where to start. Yes I have searched forum and taken notes but it’s still overwhelming. I tried using a credit repair business but nothing was ever done by them. Not even the first dispute. Can anyone please advise me on where to start?????? I’m in over my head.

11 collections. ($9000 total)
560ish across the board
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuilding Journey

First off, you’re in the right place to get the help you’re looking for. The knowledge base is here and you’ll be able to get guidance - deep breath on that part Smiley Happy

Next up, could you list the collections accounts you have - who the original creditor and the collections agents are, the dollar amounts, and the DoFD (date of first delinquency) for each - that’s the first time you went delinquent on each account which led to collections.

Knowing this will help us help you in determining when each will fall off your report, which collections may be able to be deleted upon payment, who you should call to pay on each, and so forth.

If you haven’t yet done it, order your free credit reports from the bureaus at www.annualcreditreport.com to get all the info, post up, and let’s see about fixing you up!
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!!! I will work on that.
Message 3 of 4
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

+1

You're definitely at the right place. Once you share the additional information, we can begin helping to sort this. Wishing you the best!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.