Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding My Credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding My Credit

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to get some advice on the next steps I can take to improve my credit. I know building credit does take time and patience, but I'm in a weird position. I'm currently staying with family and I'm trying to move out ASAP. I read through multiple blogs that the minimum credit score to qualify for an apartment is around 625-650. I'm looking to move out around the beginning of April and I'm not too far off from 650. As of now, I'm currently at 535 Equifax, 561 TransUnion, and 574 Experian. Here's what I'm doing so far.

Credit Cards

- I got my first credit card through OpenSky

- As of my next payment, I'll be able to qualify for the Self Lender Card.

I plan on keeping my utilization on both cards around 10-15% and then paying the balance in full. 

Open Accounts

- I've been disputing things on my report like crazy and so far I've been able to remove the majority of them except for 3 accounts. 2 of them have low balances ($175 and $75) that I plan on paying in exchange of having them removed. The other account has a balance of $1500 so there's nothing I can do with that one just yet.

- My school payments are coming out of deferment so I'll be able to use that payment history to help me out.

All in all, the only thing I have going for me is opening another card, keeping the usage down and payments, but is there anything else that I can be doing to increase my score to that 625ish range within the next 4 months?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Rebuilding My Credit

For now. Whos the charge offs with?This will help who you could try and apply for an unsecured card. What negs do you have?

And then this:

"I plan on keeping my utilization on both cards around 10-15% and then paying the balance in full."

Util is what's reported each month that you let report. It should be less than 8.9%. You can use all you want on your card/s. Pay it down before statement dut date. Let it report a balance. You'll see the new due date show up after statement post. Thats the sign a new cycle has begun. Then pay whatever you let report before the due date.

If anything is accurate on your reports. Stop disputing. It updates each time and dings you. If you dispute too much. The CRA's will block any further disputes. CO PFD is a rare thing. Good luck with that. Welcome to the forums.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuilding My Credit

Hey,

Sorry for the late response. Here's what I have as negatives on my reports.

Bridgecrest - Repo w/ a balance of $9,450

Bridgecrest - 60 day late (i'm a cosigner and no longer on good terms w/ that person. I don't have a way to get off of it since they won't refinance)

School Loans - I had 2 late payments within the last 2 years. As of now they are being deferred until 1/10/2020.

3 medical accounts in collections.

-$75

-$170

-$1387

I forgot all about the 2 low balance ones.

1 charge off account w/ Verizon for $890 that falls off in 2021.

16 inquiries in total between equifax, trans and exp.

And I'll stop disputing. I didn't know it could hurt me further.. bad advice from a friend so thank you!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.