Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding Question - Please Help!!

tag
Lily0812

Rebuilding Question - Please Help!!

Hello Everyone,

I need some sort of advice, I need help. I feel I am drowning. I filed for BK back in 2015, I got discharged. Life happened , I am at 30k debt; the pandemic didn't help. I used my cards for aid and digged myself deeper into debt. I want to pay my cc but it's very difficult with the wages I bring. What is my best option; debt consolidation or continue trying to pay off debt. I do not qualify for personal loans. I would appreciate any advice. Also I have noticed several inquiries on my credit karma report, someone has been using my social. I am a victim of identity theft.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Rebuilding Question - Please Help!!

If you can list your accounts. Then we can come up with a plan to help.

Creditor Name/Credit Line/ Balance

The other issue of ID Theft:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Victim-of-Identity-Theft-What-To-Do-to-Protec... 

Message 2 of 15
HowDoesThisAllWork
Frequent Contributor

@Lily0812 wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I need some sort of advice, I need help. I feel I am drowning. I filed for BK back in 2015, I got discharged. Life happened , I am at 30k debt; the pandemic didn't help. I used my cards for aid and digged myself deeper into debt. I want to pay my cc but it's very difficult with the wages I bring. What is my best option; debt consolidation or continue trying to pay off debt. I do not qualify for personal loans. I would appreciate any advice. Also I have noticed several inquiries on my credit karma report, someone has been using my social. I am a victim of identity theft.

@Lily0812 

Good morning and welcome to the forum.  You are going to find that there are a lot of VERY SMART and KIND people in this specific forum.  One of them replied to you (I would suggest that @FireMedic1 is one of the aforementioned people).

I would like to suggest two, parallel courses of action.  By "parallel" I mean that there are two paths that we need to take.

One path is going to be the potential ID Theft (unrelated to any credit situations.....my credit situation was 100% my own doing).  I have experienced that and it is NO BUENO!  It is a royal pain in the arse.  You are going to be overwhelmed by all of the work YOU are going to have to do.  But, I promise you that it is so worth it.  Stay the course, stay strong, and you will be rewarded.

The other path is going to be your credit situation.  Hey, there is no judgement in here.  We have all been there.  Some of us are still in it.  It can be embarassing.  It can be humiliating even.  But, we have all been there.  You are NOT special in that regard.  You have a lot of friends here.

So, for the credit issues, might I suggest that you do what @FireMedic1 suggested.  That would be a great start.  And, likely the best way to do that (list out all of your accounts - good, bad, whatever) is to go over to https://www.annualcreditreport.com and get your Credit Report from each of the three CRAs (Credit Reporting Agency).  And, just to be clear, those three CRAs are Equifax, Experian, and Transunion.

As an aside, because of COVID-19, the powers that be have changed a few things.  We are allowed to get our Credit Report every seven days now.  Yes, ma'am!  Once a week.  This is valid through the end of December, 2022 (and I would not be tooooo surprised if that changed....that date has changed two or three times so far).  So, please please please go and get your credit reports.  That is the best way to start.  Well, in my opinion.

Then, once you have them, look at each.  Start with one of them (let's just say "Transunion"....really does not matter) and write down all of your open accounts, write down all of your closed accounts, write down all of your "negative" accounts (with "negative accounts" meaning any collection agengies, any Charge Offs, any accounts with late payments...be it 30-day or 60-day or more).  Then, go to "the next" report (let's just say "Equifax") and make sure that you see the same accounts.  Finally, go to the third report (okay, so in my example that would be the "Experian" report) and again make sure that you have the same accounts listed.

I think that the big picture here is that we are trying to identify what "baddies" you might have (with the term "baddie" referring to an account that has negative information....such as the collection agency, the Charge Off, the late payments, et al).  Once we have them listed, we can attack each one.

Once we have the list of "baddies", then we have a starting point.

For Collection Agengies, some will do what is called a "Pay for Delete".  What that means is, if you pay the debt (and it can be either the full amount or a percentage thereof, that is for you to decide) then they will delete that negative account from your credit reports.  Getting rid of all of the Collection Agencies from your credit reports will help a ton.  Now, some will not do this "Pay for Delete".  There is a post in here that lists out what CA will do that, which might do that, and which will not.  Even in the case where they will not, I feel that it is important (even empowering) to know....because the unknown is so unnerving and scary.

With the late payments, we can do what is called a Goodwill Letter.  That is simply where you write a letter to the creditor, explaining your situation, owning your mistakes, and asking for forgiveness.  You would be surprised at how effective this can be.

For the Charge Offs, well, that is a bigger task.  One that likely needs to be tackled first (as this hits you on several fronts).

But, first things first....

Get your three credit reports and - if you are comfortable - list out in this post all of the negative accounts.  That would be a great starting point.

For the other path (the Identity Theft) you have a starting point (the initial reply included a link).

We are all here to help.  All you have to do is ask! :-)

FICO 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO 9 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Auto 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Auto 9 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Bankcard 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Mortgage 2/4/5 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

Starting Score: Exp 627
Current Score: Exp 713
Goal Score: Exp 750+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 15
Lily0812

Thank you so much for your feedback, I am reading the information on Identity Theft - I am very thankful. 

Here is a list of my accounts; let me know if you need more detaisl on the creditors:

CARD NAME BALANCE  CREDIT LIMIT 
SURGE $      140.00 $          500.00
FAMOUS FOOTWEAR $      165.00 $          350.00
BURLINGTON $      191.00 $          530.00
MILESTONE CREDIT CARD $      205.00 $          300.00
NORDSTROM CREIDT  $      295.00 $       1,000.00
INDIGO $      300.00 $          300.00
AMAZON CREDIT CARD $      385.00 $          410.00
BLAZE $      425.00 $       1,250.00
WALMART $      470.00 $          700.00
NEIMAN MARCUS $      480.00 $       1,500.00
FORTIVA CREDIT CARD $      495.00 $          500.00
CAPITAL QUICKSILVER $      530.00 $          500.00
CITIZENONE $      610.00 $       2,500.00
CREDITONE BANK RED $      765.00 $          800.00
VERVE $      800.00 $          800.00
CREDITONE BANK PINK $      890.00 $          950.00
TOYS R US $      990.00 CLOSED 
HOMEDEPOT $   1,030.00 $       1,200.00
PAYPAL SMART CONNECT $   1,178.00 $       1,300.00
FORTIVA CREDIT CARD $   1,215.00 $       1,510.00
MACYS CREDIT CARD $   1,225.00 $       1,500.00
SAMS CREDIT CARD $   1,290.00 $       1,460.00
BARCLAYS CREDIT $   1,380.00 $       1,500.00
AVANT CREDIT $   1,440.00 $       1,500.00
CAPITAL ONE PLATINUM $   1,475.00 $       1,500.00
SHOW CREDIT CARD $   1,580.00 $       1,750.00
TARGET CREDIT $   1,680.00 $       1,700.00
BESTBUY CREDIT CARD $   2,770.00 $       2,900.00
COSTCO $   3,095.00 $       5,000.00
PAYPAY CREDIT $   3,785.00 $       3,900.00
Message 4 of 15
Lily0812

I dont have any late payments or collections.

I do have a bankrupcy I filed back in 2015.

Message 5 of 15
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Oh my. Hope your not using them anymore. Cant imagine how much your paying on the mins. Basically they're all maxed out. Is there anyway to bring in extra income to get these down? Some type of property or equity? As you posted your income just gets you by. I'm lost at advice. Outside of paying down the highest balance and snowball it. Cant do a BK till 2023.

Message 6 of 15
Lily0812

I was considering debt relief program but I really don't want to go that route. I am looking for a second job so that I can at least pay down from the smallest to the largest. I have already destroyed my cards so I don't go back to them. I don't have property/equity- I know I don't many options but to pay down. I do want to pay down but I don't know where to start. I truly appreciate your feedback. 

Message 7 of 15
jrwa81
Regular Contributor

Ouch.  Yes, that is a lot.  I'll echo what has already been suggested, which is to find some way to bring in additional income solely for the purpose of knocking this debt out.  This isn't something that you're going to be able to clean up quickly.  It could definitely take a few years.  I wish I had better advice, but since you are so limited on income, I just can't think of any other viable suggestions, aside from possibly taking on a side/part-time job to help with this. 

Message 8 of 15
righthererightnow
Frequent Contributor

"CAPITAL ONE PLATINUM".... wonder if you can contact capital one and... walk this one back (make it right / get it open again). Since you have good standing on your other Capital One card. Like specifically make them a deal and target that card. Maybe that would help on that card. That's where I would start. One company, good standing. And payment plan.

Then of the list.. start going through who you want to keep and who can go. Try to pay off some of small ones and close them, get the good feeling of knowing they are off the list, (also get payment plans going with the larger ones / the best companies of the list).

*as a survival strategy... would also hunt through the list (after you make your priority list) for those who sue. Just to ensure you are covering your bases on lawsuits. Especially of the closed cards. Keep paying your mins on the open. Sending you hope, I believe in you! x

Message 9 of 15
Lily0812

Yes and thank you so much for the feedback and your time. I will definitely work on getting this fixed knowing it will take a few years.

@jrwa81 wrote:

Ouch.  Yes, that is a lot.  I'll echo what has already been suggested, which is to find some way to bring in additional income solely for the purpose of knocking this debt out.  This isn't something that you're going to be able to clean up quickly.  It could definitely take a few years.  I wish I had better advice, but since you are so limited on income, I just can't think of any other viable suggestions, aside from possibly taking on a side/part-time job to help with this. 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.