cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding Relationship with NFCU

tag
CharSie

Rebuilding Relationship with NFCU

Hello all. Just wondering has anyone SUCCESSFULLY rebuilt their relationship with NFCU “AFTER” causing them a loss?

Filed Chapter 7 in Aug 2018 due to an dispute between me and Chevy and a lemon vehicle I was sold and had to include a $1600 CC i had with them. All debts were discharged.

I was able to open another NFCU checking account and use it freely. I saw mentioned a few times that if you willingly pay them back, you could then become eligible for lending products.

I WANT TO KNOW IF ANYONE HAS BEEN SUCCESSFUL IN REPAIRING A NFCU RELATIONSHIP?

I’d hate to pay the discharged debt and then they still don’t approve me in the future. I’m trying to rebuild so i can buy a house when I’m eligible.

ARE THERE ANY OTHER CREDIT UNIONS AS GENEROUS WITH THEIR CREDIT/MORTGAGE LIMITS AS NFCU?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
theBeardedNerd
Regular Contributor

Re: Rebuilding Relationship with NFCU

Yes, they will let you back in once you repaid the debt. I recently paid roughly $18k, just to get back in with NFCU. I currently have the secured nRewards card with a credit limit of $3k. I use it for all my purchases and pay it off every month. I'm hoping by the end of the year it will graduate to an unsecured card.  

Currently in My Wallet:

Auto Loan:

Personal Line of Credit:

Future Credit Cards:

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I currently owe them about $250 from an old bank account I had with them back in 2012. They said if I paid that old debt I could restore my account. I am really think about doing so since I have heard so much good things about their secured card which graduates. Probably worth it in my opinion.
Message 3 of 10
CharSie

@TheBeardedNerd

Do you still have the “this is not an attempt to collect a debt” message showing on your account when you log in?

I guess I’m nervous because they could just be telling me anything to recoup their loss. I’d hate to pay the discharged debt and then a year or so down the line when i apply the loss is still considered a reason for denial.
Message 4 of 10
CharSie

@justin That’s why I want to as well. They’re very generous with their limits and i haven’t come across another CU that compares.
Message 5 of 10
theBeardedNerd
Regular Contributor

@CharSie wrote:
@TheBeardedNerd

Do you still have the “this is not an attempt to collect a debt” message showing on your account when you log in?

I guess I’m nervous because they could just be telling me anything to recoup their loss. I’d hate to pay the discharged debt and then a year or so down the line when i apply the loss is still considered a reason for denial.
I've never seen "this is not an attempt to collect a debt" message showing up on any of my accounts. At the same time, I never filed for bankruptcy. Not sure if that's the reason why it's showing up when you login. My three accounts were chargeoffs and I made the decision to pay them back, because I spent the money and I wanted to reestablish my relationship with them. I've used other CU's and they don't compare. 

I've never seen "this is not an attempt to collect a debt" message showing up on any of my accounts. At the same time, I never filed for bankruptcy. Not sure if that's the reason why it's showing up when you login. My three accounts were chargeoffs and I made the decision to pay them back because I spent the money and I wanted to reestablish my relationship with them. I've used other CU's and they don't compare. 

Are you close to a branch? If so, I'd go there and talk to someone. If not, then I'd call them up and talk to someone about setting up a payment plan to pay back the $1600. From my personal experience and all the reading I've done, they will let you back in once you repay the debt.  

Currently in My Wallet:

Auto Loan:

Personal Line of Credit:

Future Credit Cards:

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the advice to pay the full amount owed to Navy Fed? I guess my question is, if you settle for a lower amount, will you be able to re-establish your relationship with them down the road? 

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Generally speaking if you cause a CU a loss and don’t make them whole, you can’t get back in their good graces. I wouldn’t try to settle with a CU you want to do business with again.
Message 8 of 10
theBeardedNerd
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is the advice to pay the full amount owed to Navy Fed? I guess my question is, if you settle for a lower amount, will you be able to re-establish your relationship with them down the road? 

When I first started my rebuild, I settled one of my credit card accounts for around $522.09 (original balance: $2610). After using a couple of CU's I realized I wanted back in with NFCU. I called and spoke with the gentleman who was handling my account and told him what I was looking to do. He said the only way I'd be able to get a loan or credit card from them ever again, would be to pay the entire amount I owed. 

Yes, my advice is to pay them in full, if you want to re-establish your relationship with them. 

Currently in My Wallet:

Auto Loan:

Personal Line of Credit:

Future Credit Cards:

Message 9 of 10
AllCredit
Frequent Contributor

I had 2 charge-off accounts with them that were so old they had dropped of my credit report. I didn't owe alot but figured why bother since they were old and off my credit report.  I ended up paying one in full (maybe $1100-1200)...after reading through these forum about needing to make them whole in order to have any future options with them.    I did a payment plan with the other for a $100 a month, I did that for about 6-7mths then called in one day and just paid the remaining balance off...that was Dec. 17.  Immediately after I opened up a checking acct.  About a month later I app'd for a credit product (personal loan)...denied...been sitting on it ever since...then Friday in my email I get a pre-selected offer for NFCU Cash Rewards, on the site under offers it actually had special offers that were in-branch only.  So I figured I would just try again...I was told that the app was under review, a few hours later I got an update that I was approved...SL $25000.  So to answer your question, yes it does happen (I think its always a roll in the dice <is that right?>...but like the above...I spent the money, so I owe it whether they opt'd to give me another chance or not...).

OP have you applied?  Any update?  GL!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.