Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding after Chapter 7

tag
MrsSanchez80
Established Member

Rebuilding after Chapter 7

I'm brand new to this forum so I'm just going to jump in Smiley Wink I've read really great advice on rebuilding credit on here for others now I need some myself. I'm 60 days post Chapter 7 and have a school loan for $6,000 and I am an authorized user on my husband's credit card with a limit of $700 and that's all. I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous to apply for a credit card at this point, but I know I should have at least 1 in my name. I had (3) cards for Cap1, (1)first premier and(1) Discover it that I included in my bankruptcy. For some reason, TU is still showing Cap1 as open which I already contacted TU for a dispute. I'm really stuck on how I should move forward on rebuilding my credit.....PLEASE HELP!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuilding after Chapter 7

@MrsSanchez80 wrote:

I'm brand new to this forum so I'm just going to jump in Smiley Wink I've read really great advice on rebuilding credit on here for others now I need some myself. I'm 60 days post Chapter 7 and have a school loan for $6,000 and I am an authorized user on my husband's credit card with a limit of $700 and that's all. I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous to apply for a credit card at this point, but I know I should have at least 1 in my name. I had (3) cards for Cap1, (1)first premier and(1) Discover it that I included in my bankruptcy. For some reason, TU is still showing Cap1 as open which I already contacted TU for a dispute. I'm really stuck on how I should move forward on rebuilding my credit.....PLEASE HELP!!

Open Sky is a secured credit card that doesn't pull a credit check, so it's an easy one to get now. You'll have to wait about six months post-discharge to get any pre-quals with Cap1, but they are usually pretty forgiving. Stay away from Credit One!

Message 2 of 6
MrsSanchez80
Established Member

Thank you for the advice I will look into it. What do you think about Merrick?
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe you have to be invited first by Merrick to get one of their cards, but don't hold me to that. I DO KNOW that you shouldn't take the first offer they send you, which usually has a high APR & a high AF. People have posted that the longer they wait, that the offers get better & better ie lower APR & lower or no AF.

Message 4 of 6
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Merrick does have a secured card for which invitation is not required 

https://securedcard.merrickbank.com/

Message 5 of 6
MrsSanchez80
Established Member

Good to know. My husband was pre-approved for the Discover It secured card should I just become an authorized user on that as well?
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.