cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding after chapter 7. I burned a lot of major banks. Will I be black listed from major banks?

tag
theo78
New Contributor

Rebuilding after chapter 7. I burned a lot of major banks. Will I be black listed from major banks?

So I had a chapter 7 BK 2 and a half years ago. I burned a lot of major banks. AMEX, Citi, Chase, Barclay, Synchrony, BOA, USAA, Pen Fed. US Bank, Capitol One. At this point I'm sitting around 700 for scores and I currently have the following cards reporting, Credit One with a $600 limit, NFCU secured card that graduated to unsecured and currently has a $5000 limit, Capitol One Venture with a $7500 limit and a Apple card (Goldman Sachs) with a $6000 limit. I also have student loans reporting. Post BK i have 100% on time payments and my utilization ranges from 25-30% on average. Where do I go from here? I feel like after burning most of the larger banks above, I'll likely be black listed for a very long time/forever and wont be able to get any quality cards. I'm shocked that I got back in with Capitol One with such a high limit to start off with about a year after I burned them. I would have expected a rebuilder card with a $500 limit, but I'm not complaining. 

Thoughts on where I should go from here? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: Rebuilding after chapter 7. I burned a lot of major banks. Will I be black listed from major ban

@theo78, in your list, CapOne is the only financial institution you burned which is forgiving; it isn't at all surprising you've already been given a second chance by them.  As for the others, Synchrony might be your only other option in the next year or three, and then depending upon how much you burned AMEX and Chase for, you might be able to get back in with them a few years after that.

FWIW, I burned Chase in my Chapter 13 which was filed in 2015 and they let me back in three months ago, so it can be done, but it does take a while.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 2 of 6
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Rebuilding after chapter 7. I burned a lot of major banks. Will I be black listed from major ban

@theo78 wrote:

So I had a chapter 7 BK 2 and a half years ago. I burned a lot of major banks. AMEX, Citi, Chase, Barclay, Synchrony, BOA, USAA, Pen Fed. US Bank, Capitol One. At this point I'm sitting around 700 for scores and I currently have the following cards reporting, Credit One with a $600 limit, NFCU secured card that graduated to unsecured and currently has a $5000 limit, Capitol One Venture with a $7500 limit and a Apple card (Goldman Sachs) with a $6000 limit. I also have student loans reporting. Post BK i have 100% on time payments and my utilization ranges from 25-30% on average. Where do I go from here? I feel like after burning most of the larger banks above, I'll likely be black listed for a very long time/forever and wont be able to get any quality cards. I'm shocked that I got back in with Capitol One with such a high limit to start off with about a year after I burned them. I would have expected a rebuilder card with a $500 limit, but I'm not complaining. 

Thoughts on where I should go from here? 

You can get cards from Synchrony.   I got back in with BofA three years post-filing by opening one of their secured cards for $500.   Getting approved for that card is not guaranteed.   It unsecured in six months and I got a CLI to $5K, which is the amount I burned them for.   Today it sits at a $15K limit.   I also got back in with Barclay's at the two-year mark.   I really wanted their Aviator Red American Airlines card for its bonus and at that time it was very popular.   For several months when I would apply they wouldn't even pull my credit, they would just decline it for past relationship problems.   Then one day, poof, it approved!   That card is also at $15K today.   My BK was early excluded 14 months early from Transunion but it still reports on EX and EQ.   10 years is in August.    What are you looking for in new cards?   You can get approved for some high limits from a number of credit unions.

Message 3 of 6
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Also you would easily get approved for an unsecured Discover card.   Mine now sits at a $38K limit.

Message 4 of 6
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Get your util down to under 6%. Why pay interest? If you cant pay it. Dont charge it. Add up what you pay in interest in a month x12. Theres a weeks groceries.

Message 5 of 6
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@theo78 wrote:

I'm shocked that I got back in with Capitol One with such a high limit to start off with about a year after I burned them. I would have expected a rebuilder card with a $500 limit, but I'm not complaining. 

Hahah.... it's funny how Cap One is... you burned them in a Ch 7 and got a nice limit when they let you back in within a year.  

I burned them in a Ch 13 where they got some of their money back and they still waited 6 years and 1 month to let me back in with a $500 card.

I've said it once and I'll say it again... it does appear that creditors favor Ch 7 over 13 which doesn't make a whole lot of sense but it is what it is.  

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Get your util down to under 6%. Why pay interest? If you can pay it. Dont charge it. Add up what you pay in interest in a month x12. Theres a weeks groceries.

@FireMedic1 

Speaking of UTI... mine went down and my scores have risen a small amount while waiting on a couple more cards to report.  My remaining CC debt is all 0% thru the end of the year.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.