cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding and score is dropping with a new card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding and score is dropping with a new card?

Why does my credit score drop substantially when I open a new credit card and I am trying to rebuild my credit? The 20 point decrease really makes a negative impact when my score is already low and it is taking over 3 months to increase my score by just a few points. I don't understand.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuilding and score is dropping with a new card?

It depends on the thickness and age of your profile, but to keep things simple, opening a new account generally results in a temporary ding in one's credit score. But I wouldn't fret; your scores will re-boud with time. Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

In the beginning stage of rebuild. Points deducted are a lot higher. Once your file becomes thicker. You may lose a alot less than what you got hit with. My last CC approval with a HP was a 1 point deduction on EQ and TU, EX nada. Once you get to 3 cards and establish a history of over 2 to 2 1/2yrs. The hits will be less and less. YMMV.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I appreciate the information.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. Before the new card (Capital One QS unsecured ) My EX was 574 now 545; TU still 560 and EQ was 559 now 538. I also have a BOA secured and an Indigo unsecured. This is very challenging because it is keeping me from getting a place to live.
Message 5 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Unfortunately people come here mostly after the fact. They hit the internet and come here after something isnt right. And find out then what happened to their situation. You have enough cards to build off of at 3. Follow the AZEO method and time will give you your points back. Main issue is why are you in the 500's. There is a ton of knowledge here that can help you rebuild. 3 yrs ago I had the same scores as you after BK. Just need to know some background why you are where your at. And the gang can help you out. Either way Good Luck and welcome to the forum.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I lost my job, and my car got repossessed. I have been able to work out a repayment with Santander but it shows as closed although the debt is decreasing, I have a old student loan for $1600 that I am making payments on; a collection charge off from Sprint; and a paid in full charge off from AT&T. And besides the 3 C in good standing, I have an installment loan in good standing and 2 other closed accounts that show positive.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

A new card does a couple things that affect your score.  

1.  You take a hit for the inquiry - usually just a few points <5   but it's there.

2.  It changes the AAoA because this new account/card is brand new - so it brings the average down - again hitting some points.

3.  Depending on usuage (can be as simple as an annual fee on a low limit card) it can affect UTIL - again - hitting a few points.

You usually see the rebound in a couple months as your available credit goes up, and the Account begins to age.  

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.