Did you mean: 

Rebuilding credit, GW Letters, Collections, looking for advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding credit, GW Letters, Collections, looking for advice

Hello everyone,

I am new here.

Last fall my credit score was fairly decent, mid 700s, and I was in the process of getting a mortgage to buy a home. Suddenly in November of 2018 I lost my job and also some other personal issues happened. I kind of hit rock bottom and wasn't working for a few months. I have an auto loan, personal loan, and 2 credit cards I fell behind on.

At the time I also had a bank account with a bank whom I explicitly told when I opened the account to not let it overdraft. One of these accounts was on a forced auto pay and the bank let the transaction go through and my account went negative. They then began charging me overdrafts fees almost daily until my account was over -$600. They closed the account and told me after awhile it would be sent to collections which I'm assuming they did.

In March of this year I did notice an entry on my credit report from a collections company called Trackers Inc (they are local). Stating the original creditor was from my bank. However, I have not recieved any communication from Trackers. No emails, phone calls, letters. Two weeks ago I sent them a pay for delete letter and haven't recieved any sort of reply. I was wondering how I should handle this? As they aren't a large company there aren't many address I could send more letters to. I read the topic suggesting the saturation technique. 

I have a personal loan with Avant. I originally opened it a couple years ago to help build my credit and have a variety of accounts. I missed two payments while I was out of work.  I am now caught up and sent them a goodwill letter. I recieved this response:

Avant is in receipt of your letter in which you asked that we make a goodwill adjustment to remove negative items from your credit report. After thoroughly reviewing our records, as well as any information provided by you and the consumer reporting agency, Avant is unable to make a modification to your credit report. According to our records, the information Avant submitted to the consumer reporting agency correctly describes your loan activity.

The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires Avant to report fairly and accurately. Please be advised that Avant does not remove reporting when we have verified the information is accurate.

We advise you to contact the individual bureaus, Transunion, Experian, and Equifax, for more about how the information reflected in your credit reports impacts your credit score.

If you have any questions, please contact us at 1-800-712-5407 or email us directly at Resolutions@Avant.com.

Any advice how I should handle this? Just use the saturation technique?

I also have a credit card with Discover, Capital One, and an auto loan with Capital One. I missed a couple payments on each of those but have since then caught up. I sent goodwill letters to all three but have yet to hear anything. Again, any advice of suggestions? Any mailing addresses you found worked? Feel free to PM them to me.

Thank you for reading and thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice. 

Have a great day!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rebuilding credit, GW Letters, Collections, looking for advice

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am new here.

Last fall my credit score was fairly decent, mid 700s, and I was in the process of getting a mortgage to buy a home. Suddenly in November of 2018 I lost my job and also some other personal issues happened. I kind of hit rock bottom and wasn't working for a few months. I have an auto loan, personal loan, and 2 credit cards I fell behind on.

At the time I also had a bank account with a bank whom I explicitly told when I opened the account to not let it overdraft. One of these accounts was on a forced auto pay and the bank let the transaction go through and my account went negative. They then began charging me overdrafts fees almost daily until my account was over -$600. They closed the account and told me after awhile it would be sent to collections which I'm assuming they did.

In March of this year I did notice an entry on my credit report from a collections company called Trackers Inc (they are local). Stating the original creditor was from my bank. However, I have not recieved any communication from Trackers. No emails, phone calls, letters. Two weeks ago I sent them a pay for delete letter and haven't recieved any sort of reply. I was wondering how I should handle this? As they aren't a large company there aren't many address I could send more letters to. I read the topic suggesting the saturation technique.  If they are local go to their office and make a deal face to face, its better than sending letters through the mail, be willing to pay it off there and then if they will delete the collection.

I have a personal loan with Avant. I originally opened it a couple years ago to help build my credit and have a variety of accounts. I missed two payments while I was out of work.  I am now caught up and sent them a goodwill letter. I recieved this response:

Avant is in receipt of your letter in which you asked that we make a goodwill adjustment to remove negative items from your credit report. After thoroughly reviewing our records, as well as any information provided by you and the consumer reporting agency, Avant is unable to make a modification to your credit report. According to our records, the information Avant submitted to the consumer reporting agency correctly describes your loan activity.

The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires Avant to report fairly and accurately. Please be advised that Avant does not remove reporting when we have verified the information is accurate.

We advise you to contact the individual bureaus, Transunion, Experian, and Equifax, for more about how the information reflected in your credit reports impacts your credit score.

If you have any questions, please contact us at 1-800-712-5407 or email us directly at Resolutions@Avant.com.

Any advice how I should handle this? All you can do is continue to ask for forgiveness on the lates. 

I also have a credit card with Discover, Capital One, and an auto loan with Capital One. I missed a couple payments on each of those but have since then caught up. I sent goodwill letters to all three but have yet to hear anything. Again, any advice of suggestions? Any mailing addresses you found worked? Feel free to PM them to me.

Thank you for reading and thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice. 

Have a great day!

Welcome to myFico Smiley Happy

Here are a few theads you may want to review to get an idea of how to approach all this

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Stories/td-p/1573680

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-PFD-Success-Stories/td-p/2031275

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Example-Letter/td-p/4519

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuilding credit, GW Letters, Collections, looking for advice

My only concern of doing it in person is if they agree to delete it then don't. Then it's just he said/she said. I have no written proof that they agreed.

I've never read through the FCRA but does it state anything about early removal? Is that aloud? Whether it be lates or collections?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.