Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding credit

Hi everyone. So I am in the process of getting my credit together. I have about $5k in collections on my credit report. So I am in the process of paying those off. I paid 2 accounts the other day, and the experience with them has me weary of dealing with other agencies. I did dispute some of the things because they are a few years old. And just figured I would see what happens. The one agency I did pay, said they would email letters following payment, that never happened. But I have no problem getting a lawyer to help with the issue. More money, yes but I'm adamant on getting my credit together. I have one credit card, I've had it for 10 years. It's a $2500 credit limit. I rarely carry a balance on it, but I use it frequently. I have a care credit account for $800, no balance. I have a car loan... No late payments ever. So all of my current account are in great standing. I guess at this point, should I focus on just paying collections? Can I apply for other credit cards? I would prefer a card with some rewards, I travel a lot. My scores are TU 667, EQ 650, EX 635. Plus I kind of feel like my credit union card isn't doing much for me. And for a credit increase they have to do a hard pull. And I also have no inquiries.

Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuilding credit

I also have a private student loan with chase that was charged off 3 years ago. I'm not sure what to do with that. Pay it of wait for it to fall off? I do have federal student loans, but they are in good standing.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone?!! Lol
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes try to do PFD on your collection accounts...also maybe try to get a Capital One Plat card, or quicksilver card. Something small but manageable to get your payment history up and gain trust with lenders again. 

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply!! I applied for the VentureOne card and was approved. So, I will be using that card since my other credit card doesn't have any rewards.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got a platinum and paid off some medical collections with that and did a few PIF's on the platinum lol My fiancee is going to use her quicksilver to pay off her medicals and get back some money lol if u get rewards using the card might as well pay the collections and PIF them by the end of the month so u also get the rewards from using the card lol

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi everyone. So I am in the process of getting my credit together. I have about $5k in collections on my credit report. So I am in the process of paying those off. I paid 2 accounts the other day, and the experience with them has me weary of dealing with other agencies. I did dispute some of the things because they are a few years old. And just figured I would see what happens. The one agency I did pay, said they would email letters following payment, that never happened. But I have no problem getting a lawyer to help with the issue. More money, yes but I'm adamant on getting my credit together. I have one credit card, I've had it for 10 years. It's a $2500 credit limit. I rarely carry a balance on it, but I use it frequently. I have a care credit account for $800, no balance. I have a car loan... No late payments ever. So all of my current account are in great standing. I guess at this point, should I focus on just paying collections? Can I apply for other credit cards? I would prefer a card with some rewards, I travel a lot. My scores are TU 667, EQ 650, EX 635. Plus I kind of feel like my credit union card isn't doing much for me. And for a credit increase they have to do a hard pull. And I also have no inquiries.

Thanks in advance!

For the collections, always do a PFD if you can.    I would be concerned about the chase student loans, if they are within your states SOL.    Chase often sends their debt to Midland for collections which can lead to judgements/garnishments etc if not paid.   PS:  Your starting scores are NOT bad at all!   You don't have far to climb.   

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm worried about it too. Nothing has been reported in 3 years. I think I'm going to worry about everything that's "new" per say in collections and then get a game plan together with the chase charge off. I can pay it off.. how I completely forgot about a private student loan, idk. *rolls eyes* it's probably because it's my only one, the rest are federal. Plus Chase wanted me to pay it while in grad school, but I was broke and they wouldn't budge. But now that I want to get my credit together, it's bugging me.
Message 8 of 12
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Definitely try the pay for deletes, if possible. If you continue to do well with your cards, combined with whatever success you generate by paying and or getting collections deleted, you'll be in a nice spot in no time!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!!! I'm working on it!
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.