Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding my credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding my credit

I'm trying to rebuild my credit and hopefully buy a house in the next year or two. My current scores are Experian 525 Equifax 552 Transunion 593. I have an open auto loan in good standing with no late payments, 1 cc with $300 limit with no late payments, and 21K in student loan debt with no late payments. I have two credit cards that were closed in the past year because of inactivity. Neither of these two had any late payments. I have one closedcharged off cc from 2014 with a $444 balance still. I also have 3 other cc closed/charged off in 2016 with a total balance of 2k. Should I pay off the 4 old credit cards? What other things can I do to repair and rebuild?

1 REPLY 1
beutiful5678
Frequent Contributor

Re: Rebuilding my credit

Other than staying current with your open accounts, I think paying off your charged-off accounts will do the most to boost your score. Once you do that you should qualify for better cards than you can get now.

You could probably get a secured card now if you really wanted to but why do that when you can probably get the unsecured version in just a few months? And, IMHO, the money required to secure the card would be put to much better use paying the charge-offs.

EX 8: Aug 2021 - 692 | EQ 8: Aug 2021 - 714 | TU 8: Aug 2021 - 673
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.