Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding my credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding my credit

So I’m trying to rebuild my credit my biggest issue is I have a NFCU CREDIT CARD that I owe $1800 it’s chargedoff I was offered a settlement of $377 should I settled or should I try and pay it in full ? I owe cap one $450 and Fingerhut $663 what would be my best course of action ? And if I settle will it hurt my score I’m at 620 now

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuilding my credit

The COs are already suppressing your scores- paying them will only help you in the long run.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are going to try and get back in with NFCU in the future, you will need to pay them in full.  As far as scores is concerned paid whether settled or in full doesn't matter as long as they show a 0 balance.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd pay NFCU in full.

Message 4 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Cap1 will be the easiest to get back in with once its paid. Some have gotten back in as early as 6 months. Closer to a year is a better percentage. Many here know how NFCU operates. I believe once paid, and someone correct me if I'm wrong. You might have to go the secured route to start over again after a certain period of time. Good Luck!

Message 5 of 7
Medic981
Valued Contributor

I too agree to pay NFCU in full if you want to get back in with them. NFCU is a great CU, as long as you treat them well, NFCU will treat you well.

As FireMedic stated, CapOne is historically the most forgiving. FingerHut I have no experience with but I understand that they are relentless in getting their money.

Good Luck 

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 6 of 7
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I'd pay NFCU as that's a relationship you may want to nurture for the future. Fingerhut, probably not so much, but eventually you will need to take care of it because it's updating and will continue to do so for as long as remains unpaid. 

As far as the other two, settling vs PIF is a matter of personal choice. Scoring wise, it wont make a difference.

PIF looks better if a future app requires manual review, but that's about it 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.