cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding: stay away from cards I've burned in the past?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding: stay away from cards I've burned in the past?

Just curious what others have experienced.

I have burned capital 1 and synchrony in the past. 3+ years ago... on payment plans and almost done with both. (payment plans with collection agency and attorney, original debt charged off 3+ years ago).

I ask because I'm interested in an entry level cashback card as I look to get rid of my subprime cards. "milestone" is first on the chopping block as they have no way to increase your credit limit ever (in writing on their website).

fico score aside, I keep getting emails to apply for the paypal cashback card of course that's a synchrony product. will the fact I burned them but later paid be an automatic reject?

I'm not as gung-ho on Capital one but it's the same situation as them.

TLDR; fico score aside is it an automatic reject if I recently finished paying off charge offs and collections with cap 1 and synch?

thanks!
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Bobby1081

Re: Rebuilding: stay away from cards I've burned in the past?

The email for PayPal are just solicitations. I would not apply. Try the Discover prequalify site; even getting their secured card is a good choice. Also, if you have an in; try NFCU.
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even though you are not gung ho about Cap1, it doesn’t hurt to check their pre-qual website. In my experience they have been very forgiving. They even sued me directly and I fought them and ended up negotiating a settlement. About 2 years later they approved me for a new card with a $3,000 SL.
Message 3 of 14
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

What are your FICO scores. Did you burn Disco? You could try their pre-qual.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I havent burned discover, but I have a secured card with citi so I was just hoping to skip another secured card. my history with Citi is good so I expect to graduate and build a good relationship with them.

my scores arent high enough to app yet for any cashback card. But I was trying to think ahead. thank you to all who commented Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 14
GApeachy
Super Contributor

You could still try Discover's prequal just to see. You MIGHT luck out. When I got mine it was secured, dh's was not....man I was jealous.  Happy for him, couldn't understand why he got a cashback card with a pretty decent limit compared to mine.  My scores were higher with a cleaner file. You might luck out, idk. gl!

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! This gives me a lot of hope and certainly Discover beats most of what I've got. Also thank you to the other poster telling me the paypal email was just a solicitation. I had heard rumors it was more meaningful than that.
Message 7 of 14
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Btw, on the Disco prequal it told me straight up I qualified for their secured, nothing else....same with ds and dil.  He dh, it showed he prequaled for cashback and secured.  So when he (no really me) did the app it said for him to call in and that's when we found out he qualified for the cashback card.  So that's all I can tell you.  If the prequal mentions the secured, it's a gamble.  Just wanted you to know that.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

very good to know! because I would have been hesitant to call in LOL!
Message 9 of 14
GApeachy
Super Contributor

We called right when it said too and ck or Exp, can't remember dinged the HP before we could shake a stick,  so it would have been useless to not call in.  He got a $2k or 2.5 limit!  But first the guy wanted him to send a pic of his id, dh said for him to talk to me and the guy said this is a good card, wanted me to upload while he was on the phone so I did and bam!  The guy even giggled with me, I was like dang......why couldn't that have been me? Of course dh file was waaaaay thicker so I understand really.  But he had soooooo many lates, omg not even funny (don't ask, I will not tell...yeah, that bad).  Check that prequal!Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.