Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding

I'm at a point in my life where I need to start taking my FICO score seriously. There are some key factors that lead to my situation. Some of which were my fault, some of which were not. Here's my story: 

Starting at age 18, I started getting credit card offers. I would run them up and then fail to make the payments. I would sign up for certain service providers and let the bill go simply to sign up new with a new provider, usually cell phone providers. (Ironically, I'm making an amazing living doing technical support for Verizon Wireless now, where they are also paying for my dual major in Information Systems and Finance.) I can now say that I'm middle class for the first time in my life, which is a huge step up from where I came from. 

I also spent a lot of that time being married to someone who was equally as irresponsible with their finances. I was also going to school in 2015 (separate from my current employer paid education). After my ex wife left unexpectedly after she had a mental breakdown due to depression stemming from infetility issues, I was left with nothing. I sunk everything I had toward fertility treatments for her, which only augmented my neglect for my financial responsibilities. 

I spent a period of time being homeless after we separted. I moved from Ohio back home to Illinois where no one was able to take me in. Eventually, I made the choice to stop paying on my car note for the sake of being able to get an apartment that wasn't too far from the job that I had at the time.

During this time period of attempting to rebuild I established another car note, but then my cousin identified as me to the police when he was caught commiting some crimes (very long story).

I let my SECOND car note go at this time because I needed a lawyer that I quite frankly couldn't afford. Back to another period of homelessness, this time fortunately a friend took me in. Making 10 dollars an hour at the time and being stuck in a vicious cycle of life just coming at me had me at a near breaking point. 

It was at this time, when I needed it the most, that I get the call from Corporate Verizon that I interviewed exceptionally well and they wanted to extend a job offer. I went from making 10 an hour to making what equates to 28 an hour in terms of salary. 

This is when I needed a true fresh start. I was able to move away from my family, severin the ties that need to be severed (though cost of living is higher here). I hired a bankruptcy attorney. He made the debt from my defense attorney go away, and made all of the debt that I have accumulated go away other than my student loan debt (I'm on installment 4 out of 9 toward rehabbing that). 

I am now engaged and have my first born son on the way. I pay all of my bills and rent on time. No one in my family is able to contact me. I won't allow it. 

I have 5 credit cards after my discharge. (they send a lot of offers when they see that you are debt free). 

I keep my utilization at around 22% and only carry a balance on three of my cards. I won't miss a payment, I refuse to. 

I have the following credit cards

Credit One 2000 CL (this is the card that I pay my utility bills with and pay the balance every month roughly 450 balance every month)

Merrick Bank 600 CL. I ues this card to buy a soda in the vending machine at work every month, as they promise to double my limit to 600 with 5 consecutive on time payments. 

Capital One Platinum 500 CL. I use this the same way that I use Merrick Bank, as I know Capital One tends to offer a credit limit increase to their customers after making 3 on time payments. 

First Premier Bank CL 400 I recently paid this balance in full and don't carry a balance. 

Reflex Master Card CL 500 Just opened and has an annual fee of $99.00 as the balance. Paying on Friday

Milestone Master Card CL 300 Also recently opened with an annual fee for the balance of $75.00. Paying on Friday

My question is, should I keep only Credit One, Capital One, and Merrick Bank open and do away with the other three? All of these cards are less than 6 months old and have been opened since I received my discharge. I only see value in these three cards but I'm worried about how closing the other three could impact my FICO scores. 

At this time, my scores are as follows: 

Experian                  590

Equifax                    558

Transunion             548

Any tips or feedback would be much appreciated Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
pgtackle2003
Frequent Contributor

Re: Rebuilding

Unless you're paying annual fees I don't see any value in closing the other cards you mentioned. Would just be best to pay them off and keep them in the sock drawer. Since you are in the middle of a rehab on your SL, that is likely the biggest factor in keeping your FICO score down right now. This along with your BK, how long ago was your BK discharged? I can say from experience in going through rehab on a SL, once you are done with the 9th payment, it was around 30-45 days when the default trade lines were removed from my CR. This gave me about 50-60 point increase depending on which bureau.

Until the defaulted SL is removed there isn't much more you can do to really boost your scores. However, you are on the right track in getting your Credit Report and scores to where you can start financing things again

Best of luck to you

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply and your advice! I received my discharge in December 2018. This is still very recent for me. I was thinking the same thing regarding the SL rehab. I'm hoping that continued consistency with keeping a low utilization as well as getting the SL rehabillitation and making my payments on time will lead to substantial increases in my scores. 

Message 3 of 4
pgtackle2003
Frequent Contributor

Yep you're absolutely on the right path. Unfortunately rebuilding credit just takes a long time. I know the feeling and obsessed over it(and still obsess to some degree). If I were you I would just keep doing what you're doing and paying those rehab payments and paying all your over CC's etc on time as you have been. After youre rehab is done you can likely get out of the subprime CC market and something a little more substantial. For now all you can do is sit back and know you're doing what you can.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.