Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received A call from a debt collector

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Received A call from a debt collector

I’ve had a collection account from my community college since February of 2018 I believe it has just been sold to a new company so I was wondering how that works with reporting will it now be a new account which will cause the same type of score drop when it initially reports, will the old one be automatically removed and how long until It reports? I talked to him very briefly told him I do not acknowledge the debt and will await something in writing I will then verify the information and call back when he asked if I would have a conversation over the phone I declined until I receive something in writing. Where do I proceed once I receive the letter?
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Received A call from a debt collector

In theory, the old reporting should be removed once CA has their right to collect the debt terminated or the account is sold, then the new CA may resume reporting. 

If and when they do, there will be a score drop

If no one is currently reporting, this is the ideal time to pay it in exchange for not reporting. 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.