Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received a collection letter from an attorney regarding a Judgment from 2007

tag
Njoy
Valued Member

Received a collection letter from an attorney regarding a Judgment from 2007

Help, 

I received a collection letter from an attorney regarding a medical judgment from 2007. I can pay the amount, should I pay the attorney directly or send payment to the OC?

Thanks,

Starting Score: 507 (8/2010)
Current Score: 635 (EQ-7/2011)
Current Score: 683 (TU-7/2011)Goal Score: 715

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: Received a collection letter from an attorney regarding a Judgment from 2007

I know very little about judgments, so here's a **bump**

I would say contact the attorney, but I would only be guessing.

I think the way it works is.......the OC would have to motion the court to vacate judgment.

See if they will do this in exchange for payment.That way it's paid for and off your CR's too.

Please wait for others to chime in, who are experts about judgments because I'm still learning how judgments are handled

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 2 of 5
Njoy
Valued Member

Re: Received a collection letter from an attorney regarding a Judgment from 2007

Thanks, I have been trying to find out more too, to little avail. 

Anyone with some additional info?? Don't be shySmiley Happy 

Starting Score: 507 (8/2010)
Current Score: 635 (EQ-7/2011)
Current Score: 683 (TU-7/2011)Goal Score: 715

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
sassymomof2
Frequent Contributor

Is this attorney the one who handled the judgment against you? If it is, you should pay the attorney & send it CMRRR. Because the attorney is the one who is gonna prepare the Satisfaction and send it to the Clerk of Court to have it recorded as Satisfied. I would suggest you get a copy of the Satisfaction from the attorney when its prepared because sometimes the court house is slow recording things and you may have to do a little legwork on your own to get it updated by the credit bureaus. Once the OC gets that judgment is all over. In addition to paying the debt, you have to make sure the public record is cleared. If you google judgments, there are several good posts from MarineVietvet and others regarding the turnaround time on the preparation of judgment satisfactions once the payment is received. Also, if you were not properly served you may be able to vacate the judgement. It never hurts to ask the person your're paying if they would vacate the judgment upon receiving your payment. Good luck. Hope one of the pros comes along and give you some further insight. ( I had a default judgment entered against me because the process server got me as I was walking out the door to go on a 6 week business trip. The person that was supposed to help me flaked. )

Starting Fico Feb 2011 EQ 570 TU 580 EX ?
May 2014 EQ 709 EX 684 TU discover 665

Closed on first home April 26, 2012!
Last app August 2, 2014. Gardening indefinitely!!!
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Njoy wrote:

Help, 

I received a collection letter from an attorney regarding a medical judgment from 2007. I can pay the amount, should I pay the attorney directly or send payment to the OC?

Thanks,

Is the attorney the one who represented the creditor in obtaining the judgment?  If so, for faster results, pay the attorney. 

Make sure you get a signed and notarized Satisfaction of Judgment & General Release.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.