Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received medical bill from 2012

tag
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

Received medical bill from 2012

I recently (June 2019) received a medical bill from the provider for two office visits in 2012 for a balance not paid by my insurance at the time. I no longer have that insurance and I do not even recall going to that doctor more than one time (he was entirely unhelpful).

How do I go about this? I do not want any harm to my credit, but I also don't want to just write a check for nearly $400 when I now have no recollection of exactly what services were received. It's really shady to me that I'm first getting bills now. I'm in the process of rebuilding my credit and really don't need/want a collection showing up.

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Received medical bill from 2012

Too old to sue. Will be too old to report. Do nothing?
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

What date of service is listed for the debt?

Message 3 of 13
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If its a local doctor. Just go to the office and ask them to show you the proof. Person to person is much beter than anything else. I like the KISS method.

Message 4 of 13
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

3/9/2012 and 3/27/2012

It shows an insurance payment and adjustment for the 3/9 visit on 3/22/2012 and an insurance payment and adjustment for the 3/27 visit on 4/06/2012. No payments or adjustments since.

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 5 of 13
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@recoveringfrombk7 wrote:
I recently (June 2019) received a medical bill from the provider for two office visits in 2012 for a balance not paid by my insurance at the time. I no longer have that insurance and I do not even recall going to that doctor more than one time (he was entirely unhelpful).

How do I go about this? I do not want any harm to my credit, but I also don't want to just write a check for nearly $400 when I now have no recollection of exactly what services were received. It's really shady to me that I'm first getting bills now. I'm in the process of rebuilding my credit and really don't need/want a collection showing up.

They cannot be reported with those dates from 2012 and you filed BK they were included even if you did not list them on the forms, send them copy of the discharge with demand to cease and desist any contact or collections on said bills.

Message 6 of 13
mchang124
Regular Contributor

Depending on the state you're in, it may be passed the statute of limitations to try and collect on the medical bill itself, as well as if a collection company is trying to claim the debt. In CA, our statute of limitations a 7 years. 

“It’s nice to be important but it’s more important to be nice”
Message 7 of 13
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

Oh great, thank you.

I'd like to understand the options without the BK, if that's alright? Would I just ignore it, or contact them to stop due to the age? I'm in NJ our SOL according to Google appears to be 6 years. This just seems like something that could happen again and now that I'm headed into the right direction, I just want to be more knowledgeable going forward. Thank you!

Message 8 of 13
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@recoveringfrombk7 wrote:
Oh great, thank you.

I'd like to understand the options without the BK, if that's alright? Would I just ignore it, or contact them to stop due to the age? I'm in NJ our SOL according to Google appears to be 6 years. This just seems like something that could happen again and now that I'm headed into the right direction, I just want to be more knowledgeable going forward. Thank you!

If you get a valid medical bill going forward these are the steps that you would go through to take care of it.

Medical collections are some of the easiest to get removed from your CRs, here are the steps that you should follow to address them:

1. Call the OC and see if insurance can be billed, (or-rebilled), collections ultimately paid by insurance get removed per new rules that came from CRAs settlement with 22 state AGs. If not then
2. see if you qualify for Charity Care, if not then
3.  ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
4. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
5. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help, this process cannot be discussed in any forum of myFico.

Message 9 of 13
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

And if it's older than the SOL for my state and I no longer recall the details?

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.