Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recon tips needed

tag
sueblue34
Frequent Contributor

Recon tips needed

So I've been reading a lot of threads of ppl being successful through recons whether it be for a new card, new product or cli. I haven't been successful at any of my recons. Does anyone have any tips to share?

I'm a bit of an introvert and I'm wondering if maybe the tone in my voice brings uncertainty as to why I haven't been successful.

3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Recon tips needed

Are there any incorrect statements or other inaccuracies in their statement of reasons for denial?

If you wish a statement of their reasons and they have not provided, then you can make a written request within 60 days.

More specifically, FCRA 615(b) specifies:

"FCRA 615(b)  Adverse Action Based on Information Obtained from Third Parties Other than Consumer Reporting Agencies

• In general. Whenever credit for personal, family, or household purposes involving a consumer is denied or the charge for such credit is increased either wholly or partly because of information obtained from a person other than a consumer reporting agency bearing upon the consumer’s credit worthiness, credit standing, credit capacity, character, general reputation, personal characteristics, or mode of living, the user of such information shall, within a reasonable period of time, upon the consumer’s written request for the reasons for such adverse action received within sixty days after learning of such adverse action, disclose the nature of the information to the consumer. The user of such information shall clearly and accurately disclose to the consumer his right to make such written request at the time such adverse action is communicated to the consumer.
  • Duties of Person Taking Certain Actions Based on Information Provided by Affiliate

A.  Duties, generally. If a person takes an action described in subparagraph (B) with respect to a consumer, based in whole or in part on information described in subparagraph (c), the person shall
          (i) notify the consumer of the action, including a statement that the consumer may obtain the information in accordance with clause (ii); and

(ii) upon a written request from the consumer received within 60 days after transmittal of the notice required by clause (i), disclose to the consumer the nature of the information upon which the action is based by not later than 30 days after receipt of the request.   
   B.  Action described. An action referred to in subparagraph (A) is an adverse action described in section 603(k)(1)(A) [§ 1681a], taken in connection with a transaction initiated by the consumer, or any adverse action described in clause (i) or (ii) of section 603(k)(1)(B) [§ 1681a]."

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sueblue34 wrote:
So I've been reading a lot of threads of ppl being successful through recons whether it be for a new card, new product or cli. I haven't been successful at any of my recons. Does anyone have any tips to share?

I'm a bit of an introvert and I'm wondering if maybe the tone in my voice brings uncertainty as to why I haven't been successful.

Sueblue34,

I get told that alot to that i dont need to be so blunt or rude about things, When i mean no harm it's just how i talk. I like to get straight to the point on stuff when im on the phone or at work.

If you think that is the issue you might try sending a recon letter. Here is a sample 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=generalcredit&message.id=3183

Send it to the contact info that they post on your credit file. However if you can find the email for the CEO or someone in underwritng i would email it to them also.

Hope this helps you out.

Good Luck

Message 3 of 4
sueblue34
Frequent Contributor

Well I recently receive a letter from a creditor that they were removing a collection account so I though I would be good to go. I'll try writing a letter sometimes I'm not as confident when speaking to ppl that I do not know
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.