Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regaining my rightful score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Regaining my rightful score

I'm hoping someone can offer constructive advice. I checked my credit score on Feb. 28 prior to applying for a new HELOC to get a lower interest rate. My score was 770, as usual. I got a letter from the bank a week later agreeing to the loan but saying my EQ score was 100 points lower than it had been just the week before! Turns out someone had erroneously shown I'd closed a credit card account with a pretty high balance on it. Also, I'd paid the wrong amount on my current HELOC a couple of months ago, so it showed $109 past due. I paid it within 30 days and the bank corrected it with EQ. I also immediately paid the credit card down to about $2000, then finally got the credit card closure error corrected. By my reckoning, my score should be even higher than before, as all accounts are in good standing, and I have freed up about $15k worth of credit on the card. But my rating is only up 55 of the missing 100 points. Any thoughts on what I can do to get the other 45 points back? I've worked hard for them, and I feel I have no control over how to get 'em back.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Regaining my rightful score

Are you certain you have no late being reported?
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep. Everything is clean and clear, as it should be. I haven't paid anything late with the exception of that $109 brain freeze (the payment was $469, and for some reason i got mixed up and paid 'em $360. Too much goin' on. . . )
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

45 points is alot to be missing. I would check over the reports to see what else is different.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just checked. EQ is showing "1 Negative Acct"--the one with the $109 late payment--yet it shows nothing past due, and says "pays as agreed." How can that be?
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, and the bank corrected the info, took the $109 off a couple of weeks ago.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Then it is probably reporting the late payment. It can still list pays as agreed and have a late. Was it reporting in a negative manner prior to this?
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

benneseed wrote:
Oh, and the bank corrected the info, took the $109 off a couple of weeks ago.

Possibly it hasn't been updated with the CRA's yet. It may take up to a month sometimes.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll try to be patient, but it's hard. Also hard to imagine that would knock off 45 points. It's such a nebulous world, The Credit Score--sort of like the Wizard of Oz behind the screen, but with a lot more power. Kafka would be impressed with the credit rating system, I think. Thanks for the advice.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.