cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding Tax liens and how to remove them

tag
tbone7777

Regarding Tax liens and how to remove them

Im not sure if this will help anyone but it is possible to have your IRS liens completely removed if you have paid them in full. The IRS decided last year to remove them completely if they are paid in full you must fill out form 12277 from the IRS website and ask to have them removed I was sceptical that it would work but I sent the form out 40 days ago and they called me yesterday saying they were sending letters to all 3  Having them deleted. YOU must send the form to your local IRS branch for your area

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Movin_on_up
New Contributor

Re: Regarding Tax liens and how to remove them

tbone7777 - I'm going through this process now with success.  I had an IRS lien that was completely paid off in December 2011.  Filled out IRS form 12277 and submitted it to the IRS's local Lien Withdrawal Unit in NYC.  It took them about six weeks but I was approved for the withdrawal and they sent a copy to the court here indicating that this lien can now be withdrawn.

I gave it a week and checked back with the court's online system and saw that it had been marked "Withdrawn".  The next step was to go to the CRAs to dispute that record online.  Ex - was completed in in 5 days, EX - done in 10 days, TU - still waiting on confirmation...

This process worked very well for me.    Happy to answer any questions.

Starting score: EQ FICO 8 702 (1/1/2012)
Current scores: EQ FICO 8: 763 / TU FICO 8: 760 / EX FICO 8: 765

Wallet: Chase Freedom 12K - Discover More 12K - Walmart 1K - Capital One MC 1K
Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

My lien withdrawl was successful as well; just found out this week. Yaaaay! Yesterday, they allegedly sent the paperwork to the county registrar...but here's where I got confused: the IRS rep I spoke with said that they send a letter to the county registrar people, then, the registrars send the removal to the three CRAs. Is that true, or does the IRS just send it to the CRAs directly?

It is quite a process, huh?

Message 3 of 25
Movin_on_up
New Contributor

Wcv - The letter the IRS sent me stated that they would be contacting the county registrar (which they did) and that it was my responsibility to contact the CRAs.  Online disputes with the CRAs are in process - 2 out of 3 already done! 

Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I assume this only works for federal and there is no hope for state tax liens?

Message 5 of 25
RTOrockstar
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I assume this only works for federal and there is no hope for state tax liens?

Sadly, no.

Message 6 of 25
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

I got a state tax lien removed from TU and am in the process with fingers crossed with EX and EQ.  I disputed with the CRA, they verified. I called the courthouse and confirmed that they are NOT the "furnisher".  I then MOVed twice with no response, then filed a BBB complaint.  It came off TU, EX and EQ are still brewing. Can't promise that it will work, but might be worth a shot.

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 7 of 25
RTOrockstar
Frequent Contributor

Maybe. but was it a legitimate tax lien that you paid or one that was falsely placed there? And then each state is different.

Message 8 of 25
Movin_on_up
New Contributor

My question as well.  Was it legit and if so, was it paid in full?

Thanks.

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

My state lien was legitimate and paid in full. It's been released but of course it still sits on my report for Lord knows how many more years. It's especially annoying because whenever I apply for credit it's always the first cited reason for not being approved.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.