Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding Tax liens and how to remove them

tag
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Regarding Tax liens and how to remove them

@Anonymous wrote:

My state lien was legitimate and paid in full. It's been released but of course it still sits on my report for Lord knows how many more years. It's especially annoying because whenever I apply for credit it's always the first cited reason for not being approved.

Paid tax liens can report for up to seven years from date of payment. When was this paid?

Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was about two years ago.

Message 12 of 25
Movin_on_up
New Contributor

From the Citi Identify Monitor faq:

This varies by credit reporting agency. At Equifax, unpaid tax liens remain on the credit file indefinitely and are purged 10 years from the date paid. At Experian, missed payments and most public record items remain on the credit report for 7 years, with the exception of Chapter 7, 11 and 12 bankruptcies, which remain for 10 years, and unpaid tax liens, which remain for 15 years. At TransUnion, unpaid tax liens remain on the credit file indefinitely and are removed 7 years from the date paid.

(http://www.identitymonitor.citi.com/faqs.aspx#15)

Starting score: EQ FICO 8 702 (1/1/2012)
Current scores: EQ FICO 8: 763 / TU FICO 8: 760 / EX FICO 8: 765

Wallet: Chase Freedom 12K - Discover More 12K - Walmart 1K - Capital One MC 1K
Message 13 of 25
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

Yes, mine was legitimite and paid in full as soon as I found out about it (marital nonsense) which was about 3 months after it was filed.  At the time, I did not realize I needed to take papers to the courthouse to get a "release" so that didn't happen until about 8 months later.  The CRAs were reporting the date of the lien release paperwork and not the date of the payment.  One was also reporting an incorrect amount.  The payment document also stated that it had been "cancelled" and the state AG seemed to think that the letter should have removed it from the CRAs which is why I persevered.  My beef has been the failure to properly respond to the MOVs.  They have treated it as a dispute and have not provided me with the furnisher, only the courthouse which has confirmed they are NOT a "furnisher".

Despite what the economic naysayers say about what the IRS is doing by removing the liens, I think it is the right course of action and one that states should emulate.  Tax problems can arise for a myriad of reasons and, like medical collections, should not be reflected on credit reports.  Don't even get me started on using my SSN for non-social security-related business...

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 14 of 25
virgo
Established Contributor

Which is exactly why I sued Experian in small claims court.

Still haven't gotten a decision.
Message 15 of 25
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

Virgo, did you BBB them first?  I'm wondering if I'm going to have to go there myself.

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 16 of 25
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Hi. I need help. My tax lien was released in june 2008 but I lost all the paperwork. The credit reports list it as released but I don't have the release forms or the original lien form from the irs. I have the number of the lien from my credit report. What other information do I need to complete form 12277 and how do i get that? My lien was filed in cook county illinois. I now live in massachusetts.Should I just put the info I have on irs form 12277 and send it in and see what happens? Thanks for your help

Message 17 of 25
guiness56
Epic Contributor

You can always contact Cook County if you need more information to the form.

Message 18 of 25
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Message 19 of 25
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Ok I sent out the 12277 form with copies of the feb 2011 IRS notices with written instructions to send the withdrawal to the  3 plus I included copies of the revelant items on my credit reports. I will follow up if I don't hear back in a month.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.