Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RehabbingANDBlabbing's Rebuild Progress Thread

tag
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

RehabbingANDBlabbing's Rebuild Progress Thread

I am starting this thread about midway through my journey. I only recently cam back to the MyFico forums after spending some time here years ago. My goals for the rebuild are to clear my credit profiles, qualify for a new vehicle at a reasonable APR, get a couple of decent cards (Savor One and Wells Fargo Propel AmEx are my current goals), and remain debt free. I got into nearly $200k in credit card and personal loan debt over a period of about 10 years. I finally ended up in a place where my husband and I couldn't pay the minimums and we also couldn't file for bankruptcy. They offered us a chapter 13 based on our income, but it was not feasible whatsoever. We decided to stop paying and settle the debts as best we could back in 2016 and we have been steadily climbing out from under the debts one account at a time since then. I have not settled all of these yet, but there are just a few more to go (as money allows).

I started working on getting my credit back in shape a few months ago and I have made some good progress on it. Many inaccurately reporting items have already been removed from my credit reports and I am continuing to work on the remaining ones. Here's where I am right now:

Current FICO Scores (1/4/19):

Experian - 613

Equifax - 610

TransUnion - 649

Credit Repair Items

Experian 

Bank of America CC CO

USAA CC CO

JH Portfolio Debt Collection (Citi CC)

Citi CC CO

Chase CC CO

PenFed CC CO

US Bank/ Elan CC CO

Equifax 

Bank of America CC CO

USAA CC CO

Citi CC CO

Chase CC CO

PenFed CC CO

US Bank/ Elan CC CO

TransUnion

Bank of America CC CO

USAA CC CO

34 REPLIES 34
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

Re: RehabbingANDBlabbing's Rebuild Progress Thread

Good for you! You gave me the best advice ever last night. I downloaded a debt reduction calculator last night and with some belt tightening, I can get the majority of my credit cards paid off within the next 18 months. I am sending all except the Amex Gold to the sock drawer today...maybe the freezer instead lol. 

I will be following your progress!! 

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 35
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

I am so glad I was able to help you! I saw everything you posted and it is reall the same place I was a couple of years ago. It took me a long time to put together the information needed to get out of that place and what the best course of action was so, so I definitely wanted to share it with you. 18 months is a very reasonable timeframe and I look forward to seeing you succeed amd get back your financial freedom!!!

@newmomnewme wrote:

Good for you! You gave me the best advice ever last night. I downloaded a debt reduction calculator last night and with some belt tightening, I can get the majority of my credit cards paid off within the next 18 months. I am sending all except the Amex Gold to the sock drawer today...maybe the freezer instead lol. 

I will be following your progress!! 

Message 3 of 35
DIYcredit
Frequent Contributor

When I started rebuilding in 2013 I owed $16,000 in cc debt.The smartest thing I did was open a new cc in 2014  and  create a new history of on time payments.So that when I paid  off my cc debt  I could continue building a history, because the other cc;s were all closed.I think your goals are GREAT,but I might suggest to apply for a secured card now that reports to the three credit bureaus.So you can have something to start with now  while you trying  to reach your goals.   GOOD LUCK...

Message 4 of 35
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

Interestingly enough, DIYCredit, I actually kept a few of my cards from the time I was having the financial disaster. I could afford to pay the minimum payments on some of my smaller cards, so I kept up with those. So I have Target that is already a well established tradeline, several closed and paid store cards, and I got a few other ones earlier last year (Discover secured, Avant Mastercard, and LendUp Arrow Visa). Ironically, I think my score will be better than it ever was once I am done settling and disputing. 

Message 5 of 35
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

Update 1/7/2019

Sooo I applied for two Synchrony cards since my TU report is nearly clean and my score is Ok. When I built up my credit years ago, Synchrony (used to be called GE) was a great help because they are very easy to get approved for as long as you don't have too many negative accounts. They are pretty loyal with soft pull CLIs too if you actually use the accounts.

I first applied for the EBates Visa, which I really do want for credit building, but also because I use the crap out of EBates and want extra cash back. I think they were having trouble verifying my phone number, so I called and they said they will have to send me something in the mail to verify my identity. I have seen some people on here with lower scores getting this lately, so I have my fingers crossed!

The second one I applied for is Gap. I was hoping for the Visa (even if it was a low limit), bu the store card always has the opportun ity to upgrade or at least get steady CLIs. They approved me for $200. I'm definitely going to use this card and PIF. I like Gap's jeans so I am hoping this card will offer some decent rewards or discounts.

I am probably going into the garden for now until all my disputes are completed and my utilization is down at 0%. After that, I will apply for my goal cards (Cap1 Savor and Wells Fargo Propel).

Message 6 of 35
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

Update 1/8:

I PC'd my Discover secured card from the basic 1%/2% rewards program to the 5% quarterly categories program. I didn't realize you could do the PC before getting it unsecured. I feel a bit foolish now because I have been working hard to get the Cash Back Match at my anniversary month in March. But I will have all of February and March to get some more, so it works out! I think I have already earned something like $200 cash back on the card since I opened it, so I will get at least $240 in March if not more. 

Message 7 of 35
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

I settled a huge Chase balance today with Nationwide Credit. The original balance that charged off in 2016 was $9,508. I was able to settle the account for $1,140. I am very happy that I was able to settle this account and mitigate the risk of being sued. I have a few more accounts to go before I am finished settling, but my spirits are way up after finishing this one.

Message 8 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great job on the rebuild! 🎉
If you don't mind me asking... how did you pc the discover card? Hubby has one that unsecured in October and I've been thinking it would be nice to get the higher rewards version.
Message 9 of 35
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Great job on the rebuild! 🎉
If you don't mind me asking... how did you pc the discover card? Hubby has one that unsecured in October and I've been thinking it would be nice to get the higher rewards version.

You can literally just message them through the online chat. I told them I wanted to change to the 5% rewards program. I think it took all of 10 minutes to do. I hope this helps!

Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.