Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removal of (released) federal tax lien advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removal of (released) federal tax lien advice

Hello,

I incurred a federal tax lien in 2010 for tax year 2004.  Long story short, I was paralyzed in a jobsite accident in January of '05, so I couldn't pay the tax debt or even handle my affairs for that matter.  Fast forward to October 2009, I was finally able to address the debt (not yet a lien), I solicited the help of a tax professional and was subsequently ripped-off for $1,200 in prep fees (I have documents to prove this).  I was hit with the lien a few months later, but I was also able to pay it off - it was finally released in April of 2011.

I'm now trying to remove the lien history from my credit report.  Should I send a goodwill letter to the county recorder who's reporting it, or should I pursue the IRS "Fresh Start" route, or both?  Also, I plan to explain and prove the fraud on behalf the tax service in my letters.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Removal of (released) federal tax lien advice

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I incurred a federal tax lien in 2010 for tax year 2004.  Long story short, I was paralyzed in a jobsite accident in January of '05, so I couldn't pay the tax debt or even handle my affairs for that matter.  Fast forward to October 2009, I was finally able to address the debt (not yet a lien), I solicited the help of a tax professional and was subsequently ripped-off for $1,200 in prep fees (I have documents to prove this).  I was hit with the lien a few months later, but I was also able to pay it off - it was finally released in April of 2011.

I'm now trying to remove the lien history from my credit report.  Should I send a goodwill letter to the county recorder who's reporting it, or should I pursue the IRS "Fresh Start" route, or both?  Also, I plan to explain and prove the fraud on behalf the tax service in my letters.

Thank you.

Welcome to My Fico Smiley Happy

A goodwill letter cannot be used on a tax lien. You need to file form 12277 with the IRS to have it withdrawn

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great!  Thank you.

Message 3 of 7
exw220
Established Member

Was the tax debt paid in full or settled for less?

Amex BCP $35000, Disc IT $30500 ,Cap 1 QS $13600, Cap 1 QS $4300, Orbitz Rewards Visa $12500, Care Credit $12000, Chase Freedom $25000, Home Depot $5000.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid in full.  

Message 5 of 7
exw220
Established Member

Download the IRS form 12277 from their website. It helps to write a polite, brief letter to send with the form, and you ask for their help so you can have a normal life again. Also put the addresses of the 3 CRAs on the letter. They will send them copies of the withdrawal if you ask them.

Amex BCP $35000, Disc IT $30500 ,Cap 1 QS $13600, Cap 1 QS $4300, Orbitz Rewards Visa $12500, Care Credit $12000, Chase Freedom $25000, Home Depot $5000.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very helpful!  Thank you.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.