cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove Disputes

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Valued Member

Remove Disputes

Going to apply for a mortgage. Potential lender said remove disputes on 2 accounts showing a balance. Does anyone know how to do this online? Or can I only mail in?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Legendary Contributor

Re: Remove Disputes

Does the dispute show as being resolved?

Stated differently, the the credtior's issue that there is record of a prior dispute per se, or that there is a dispute that does not show as having been resolved/completed?

Message 2 of 6
Valued Member

I called the bureaus and they did not show any active disputes, only remarks from an old dispute..
Message 3 of 6
Established Contributor

Is it Equifax? If so ... good luck.

Equifax likes to magpie disputes from the dawn of time up to the present day into a "consumer statement" that they know isn't a "consumer statement" you consciously made.

Just for fun, they also like to render them in all caps, little or no punctuation, all in one paragraph, so you look like an insane person screaming at a tree.

To remove it, you need to "dispute" it even though it is supposedly your statement. Equifax will often ignore or reject your dispute, which they make harder for you to deal with by making it impossible for you to check results, by asking "security questions" that have nothing to do with your actual history. Call, and you'll probably be talking to somebody with a thick accent, who will ask you things like "what is the minimum payment on your credit card?" when you have multiple credit cards and no way of knowing which card they are talking about. Guess wrong, and they will say you're locked out, but they will verify your identity if you send them your BIRTH CERTIFICATE.

Equifax is either really inept or really sleazy, I can't tell which.

If it's with Experian or TransUnion, you're in luck.

FICO 8 scores are deceptively high. My profile is very young with a lot of recently opened accounts and large number of inquiries. No derogs. Over 5/24 until summer 2021.

Authorized user / Corporate

Closed but still on reports: ExxonMobil, $950, 10/08-02/11 (Equifax only) | Citi secured, $200, 045/19-09/19 | Capital One secured, $300, 04/19-08/19 | My Jewelers Club, $5,000, 05/19-08/19 | Green Dot Primor, $300, 05/19-08/19 | Unsecured personal loan from Coastal, $1,000, 05/19-08/19.

Goal cards: Ducks Unlimited, Chase Sapphire Reserve (or Preferred, haven't decided). Increased CLs across the board.
Long-term goal: Legitimate 770s on EX/EQ/TU, able to qualify for most normal credit products. Prime-rate mortgage.
Message 4 of 6
Legendary Contributor

Once you have filed a dispute, it becomes factual evidence that cannot simply be deleted from your file.

Prior disputes are necessary, for example, in order to qualify to bring any civil action if you pursue the accuracy of the reporting in the courts. FCRA 623(c) requires that a consumer first file and receive verification before they can file a civil action.

Deletion would remove the ability of a court to determine whether a given civil action related to accuracy of credit reporting has standing before the court.

Additionally, the record of a prior dispute is relevant to determination of whether any second or subsequent dispute can be dismissed as "frivolous or irrelevant."  Deletion of a prior dispute would remove the ability to make that legal determination, either by the CRA or by a court.

Message 5 of 6
Established Contributor

He mentioned "no active disputes, only notes from a prior dispute." A dispute is active or it is not. If it is not active, a message about a dispute only exists to make a statement on behalf of the consumer, effectively putting words in your mouth.

FICO 8 scores are deceptively high. My profile is very young with a lot of recently opened accounts and large number of inquiries. No derogs. Over 5/24 until summer 2021.

Authorized user / Corporate

Closed but still on reports: ExxonMobil, $950, 10/08-02/11 (Equifax only) | Citi secured, $200, 045/19-09/19 | Capital One secured, $300, 04/19-08/19 | My Jewelers Club, $5,000, 05/19-08/19 | Green Dot Primor, $300, 05/19-08/19 | Unsecured personal loan from Coastal, $1,000, 05/19-08/19.

Goal cards: Ducks Unlimited, Chase Sapphire Reserve (or Preferred, haven't decided). Increased CLs across the board.
Long-term goal: Legitimate 770s on EX/EQ/TU, able to qualify for most normal credit products. Prime-rate mortgage.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.