cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove towing related CA that was reported for dues while I was away from the country for 2 yeas?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Remove towing related CA that was reported for dues while I was away from the country for 2 yeas?

I'm a resident alien who has lived in the US since 2009. However, owing to visa issues I had to temporarily leave the country in Jan 2014. I returned in April 2016 and noticed a collection account on my credit report. Later, I found out that the collection account was from a towing company that had towed a motorcycle of mine that had actually been stolen from my parking lot a few months before I left. In Apr 2014, the police had apparently nabbed the culprit during my absence and were also the ones that had called the towing company. The police say that they sent notifications to the address they had on file but since I was not there anymore I obviously did not receive any. The same applie to phone calls too. Just before leaving I had paid off  the balances on all my cards and loans including that of the motorcycle (I had it in storage for winter and so had suspended my insurance and the theft happened immediately after I took it out at which point i still hadnt resumed Smiley Sad but that was totally on me so can't blame anyone). 

Now, as I mentioned before, I had no knowledge of any of this happening. I have no family here to redirect my mails/calls so when I left there was really no way for anyone to reach me unless they had my international phone number which of course only my friends, colleagues and employers knew. The towing company had apparently held my motorcycle for a few months (5) and then AUCTIONED IT without my permission. They did not stop there. They reported me to a collection agency for an additional $1230 saying that I owed that money over and above the sale of the motorcycle!. The CA had reported me to the CRAs in Dec 2014 and that account has been there ever since. I tried a couple of times to dispute and have them removed but no dice. I tried to speak to the towing company but the lady who spoke was absolutely rude to the point of confirming everything that people hated about towing companies, and refused to budge even a bit.

Obviously, when I found out about all this last year, I was furious and vowed never to pay them if for nothing else but to simply not give in to their unscrupulous practices. 

Are there any legal grounds for me to plead and get the collection removed?. It would be even better if I can sue them and get back the money for the motorcycle as well. Having paid for it fully out of my own pocket and lost all of it when it was stolen, I feel extremely cheated by the towing company despite the fact  that not having insurance was my fault. That's also why I would be happy with just the collection account removed.

I would appreciate any and all help!. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Remove towing related CA that was reported for dues while I was away from the country for 2 yeas

The CRAs recently implemented a policy of removal of collections that are based on a debt that did not result from any contract or agreement entered into by the consumer, such as government fines and parking tickets.  A towing fee would also fall into that category.

I would contact the CRA and request removal of the collection based on that policy, as set forth in their "National Consumer Assistance Plan."

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Remove towing related CA that was reported for dues while I was away from the country for 2 yeas

I was not aware of that!. Thank you sooo much for sharing. I just filed a dispute with all three quoting that. I hope they fall off!. I had previously disputed but couldnt get it removed. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.