cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing Student Loan late payments after forbearance/deferment is applied...

tag
Whew
Valued Member

Removing Student Loan late payments after forbearance/deferment is applied...

Hello. I recently disputed my student loan late payments since a forbearance and/or deferment was approved and applied by Navient to my account for those months.

Has anyone been successful with the same issue?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Removing Student Loan late payments after forbearance/deferment is applied...

I got all of my loans combined into one with great lakes. Consolidation with income driven repayment, I've been wondering if I can dispute the lates as well.
Message 2 of 7
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

Re: Removing Student Loan late payments after forbearance/deferment is applied...

I tried that with FedLoan and didn’t work and sent them a letter to correct it sending them the forbearance didn’t work. So I’m currently on my second dispute waiting on results and if that still doesn’t I’m going to start goodwills for the next 3 years.

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had no luck removing late payments on my student loans. I thought the accounts were suspended while under review for an income driven payment plan, but I was incorrect. Four loans reported as two months late. I have fought and fought for a year now and no luck.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whew: I don't have any experience with it. However I have seen others able to get it removed by disputing and submitting the forbearance letter too.
If it doesn't work you can try disputing again, although if you do it too many times without additionally supporting documents it gets flagged as frivolous and they refuse to keep investigating it.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gooty1: You can but unfortunately that's the pitfalls of consolidation vs rehabbing. Brother guarantee or right of removal of lates but disputing lates after rehabbing is sometimes successful.
Doesn't hurt to try!
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Txisalive:
The lates are accurate as reported, which is why they will not be removed through a dispute. The proven isn't there credit bureau, it's your servicer. I'm guessing you've talked with them multiple times and have not gotten a solution.
You're absolutely correct. When you turn in a new IDR application or recertify your loans should be put on administrative forbearance when they were received. I'm not sure if there are any specific rules about this but it's pretty standard. Additionally they seem to be taking longer than the standard one month to process our IDR applications often (fastest is the online application with the IRS link). I'm unsure if it would have been up to you to ask for them to continue the forbearances into the second month.
My advice is to go with your gut and put this all on them. Believe that they 100% should have done these things and that it's their fault for not putting you in the forbearance and the resulting marks on your credit report. Take this conviction and put it into a narrative, then file a complaint with the Ombudsman first, then there Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. I say it this way because I've found that if you give the servicer any wiggle room, they will take it. Be ready to submit an supporting documentation (including bills, your IDR application, communication logs, etc. ) and then some. An acceptable response would be for them to correct the lates and your credit report.
Good luck!
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.