Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing a collection agency

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing a collection agency

I recently had a collection agency report a medical supplies bill to my credit report. I contacted the medical supplies company, sent them a money order for the full amount and the medical supplies company cashed the money order. How do I get the collection agency to drop off my credit report like it was never there?
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Removing a collection agency

write them a letter and send them proof it was paid. 

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's awesome you got the original creditor to agree to the payment. Yeah, just dispute the charge on your account with a receipt or something.

Can I ask how that all went down? Meaning, did you simply ask to pay it without mentioning the collection?

I'm thinking about doing something similar now that I see your success.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I contacted the medical supplies company and asked if I could pay off my balance and they told me no I had to contact the collection agency. I said if I sent you a money order what would you do? She told me send it back to you. I waited 4 months, sent them a money order and they cashed it. Money talks.
Now my dispute to the collection agency is how can you report to my credit when I never paid you and I am no longer liable for that bill. My delima is getting the collection agency completely removed like they were never there. Contacted CFPB to file a complaint against collection agency.
Message 4 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Paying the creditor is not basis for requiring an assigned debt collector to remove their reported collection.

In fact, published CRA policy, incorporated into their credit reporting agreements, is that furnishers not delete based on payment of the debt.

The debt collector never owned the debt, and paying the creditor only terminates the continued ability of the debt collector to continue collection on the now-discharged debt.

It does not negate the fact that they had legitimate collection authority, which is what their reporting of a collection signifies.

They are required only to update their reporting to show closed, $0 remaining under collection.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck on the attempt, CheleEchele.

It's a calculated risk, and worst case scenario is the collection is paid and they can't contact you about it anymore...which is a good thing.

I'm probably going to take the same stance myself and see what comes of it. I wish I could assist you in other questions you have about the dispute process.

I'm currently researchiing that myself and if I come across a success story or strategy, I will definitely let you know.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you DavidLee. I'm going to try my best to have the collection removed.
For your situation you can call the collection agency and ask them if you pay it would they remove it. If you can get them to agree to that and get it in writing you should be fine. I forgot about that approach when I started this mess.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you RobertEG. I will look into the CRA policy.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chele - google hipaa dispute process.  When the provider cashed your payment, they opened the door for you.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mimsof4, I googled hippa dispute process as you suggested but I don't understand how that relates to my situation. Please explain.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.