Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing paid as agreed accounts with short age? Good or bad

tag
GalaxyStars
Regular Contributor

Removing paid as agreed accounts with short age? Good or bad

So some of us have have had those cards that we open and sometimes immedialtely close.

In my case it was Merrick Bank, open for about a week, before I was sickened at the terms of the card. First Premier account was opened for about 3 months

This was at the start of my credit building phase. So both of these accounts are closed and closed in good grace, no negatives or such.

But my AAOA suffers, It's about 0.8 yrs old, IF IT WERE ALLOWED, would removing these short lived accounts be any good to raising my credit score?

Merrick Card - opened for 1 week

First Premier - opened for 3 months

4 REPLIES 4
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Removing paid as agreed accounts with short age? Good or bad

I don't think removing them would raise your score. Actually, keeping them on there continues to help your AAoA. Unless I'm missing something.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 5
JayTee1
Frequent Contributor

@GalaxyStars wrote:

So some of us have have had those cards that we open and sometimes immedialtely close.

In my case it was Merrick Bank, open for about a week, before I was sickened at the terms of the card. First Premier account was opened for about 3 months

This was at the start of my credit building phase. So both of these accounts are closed and closed in good grace, no negatives or such.

But my AAOA suffers, It's about 0.8 yrs old, IF IT WERE ALLOWED, would removing these short lived accounts be any good to raising my credit score?

Even if the account is closed, FICO 8 counts this toward your AAoA.  So removing the accounts would negatively affect AAoA, unless those accounts are the only new accounts you have or in and of themselves are reducing your AAoA.

I have no idea if you can do such a thing.

March 2014: Abysmal, low 500s

April 2015: TU 607 | EQ 599 | EX 608
March 2019: TU 717 | EQ 727 | EX 727
Message 3 of 5
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@GalaxyStars wrote:

You would have to figure out your AAoA with and without them to determine.  Without knowing that, we can't determine for you.  It might have a neglible impact either way.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GalaxyStars wrote:

I does not matter how long they remained open, only how LONG AGO they were opened. If they were opened more than 8 months ago, they are adding to your AAoA, if less than that they are subtracting from it. Either way, I can't see the removal of them boosting your AAoA beyond the 1 year threashold where you would potentially see a point increase.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.