Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repairing Credit with Collections Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Repairing Credit with Collections Question

Hello Everyone,

I am helping my mother repair some credit so she will be able to refinance her home and safe her some money. I have been reading on here some of the things she can start doing but one thing I still do not yet understand what the best course of action should be.

She has 2 medical items in collections totalling 500 for both items. If she pays them off completely, will they not automatically be removed after a certain time period? If so what is that time period usually? I have been reading some of the messages about collections and it seems that most people are having trouble getting them removed and the community has suggest GW Letters or a PFD letter. If there is no guarantee that the collection will be removed from the credit report, why even pay the collection in the first place. (I am not asking whether to pay the bill or not, I am going to pay it, just saying) Will she receive a bump in her FICO numbers if the collection is at a zero balance even though it might still be on her report? How does having a collection with a zero balance vs a collection without a balance affect your numbers?

Thanks for any help on this matter.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: Repairing Credit with Collections Question

When I went to clean up reports, the items have already done damage. With medical collections, I researched the state laws due to multiple debts with one agency, charity care, and PFD's.

Many small medical collectors don't want to pay to remove. It costs them money to list, and it costs them money to take down, which eats into their profits. Keep hammering at supervisors, etc. some will allow delete if pay off all debt. Some will pull the debt before you pay it off, and some will generate a letter to remove from credit report for a fee.

My last collections ended up not being owed, so they made no money. They told me to dispute as not owed, and they would not contest. They did as promised (kinda a you scratch my back, I scratch yours deal). I have never been disappointed using direct communications with collections AND the original creditor.

However, if all else fails, I DON'T pay unless delete. Small medical collections are even ignored by Amex, Chase and mortgage companies. They either delete, or no money.

Just my approach (you can see from my signature how well it worked). Smiley Wink
Signature needs updating
Message 2 of 7
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

To add, when the collection is zeroed out, it is updated as new. It will still fall off after the seven year period, but it will tank the score (had that happen with a dispute). Tis why I don't pay unless removed.
Signature needs updating
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

$0 balance medical debts are ignored by the new FICO scoring models. If paid, even if they are still there, her FICO score should go up (how much is a mystery). Considering that, it is a benefit to pay the debt as far as newer FICO scores are concerned. The existence of a collection can still affect older scoring models, such as those used by mortgage lenders, but I've been told that when reports are manually reviewed paid medical debts are often overlooked because of how ridiculous they can be.

If they won't do PFD, you can pay it then begin a GW campaign to both the collection agency and the providers's billing department. Medical debt collectors report to CRAs under the direction of medical providers, and a doctor/hospital may be more inclined to extend goodwill for a paid balance.

Message 4 of 7
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

$0 balance medical debts are ignored by the new FICO scoring models. If paid, even if they are still there, her FICO score should go up (how much is a mystery). Considering that, it is a benefit to pay the debt as far as newer FICO scores are concerned. The existence of a collection can still affect older scoring models, such as those used by mortgage lenders, but I've been told that when reports are manually reviewed paid medical debts are often overlooked because of how ridiculous they can be.

If they won't do PFD, you can pay it then begin a GW campaign to both the collection agency and the providers's billing department. Medical debt collectors report to CRAs under the direction of medical providers, and a doctor/hospital may be more inclined to extend goodwill for a paid balance.

Hint, no one is using the new fico scoring model. Smiley Wink

Signature needs updating
Message 5 of 7
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Also, once paid, the collectors split it with the OC for medical debts. She may also qualify to owe nothing, if she earned less than 23k last year. Research is better when going to fight (get rid of) a collection.
Signature needs updating
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for you help as always! I have called and told her to start off by calling to hospital and speaking to the business department and talking with them first since she has a good relationship with them. If they are unable to help/aid getting the remarks removed then she is going to send a PDF letter to the collection agency. If that doesnt work then she will send out the GW letters. Thanks again for the help!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.