Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repayment question

tag
jrubedjmp311
New Contributor

Re: Repayment question

last year since i was out of work. I just called chase. they will settle both accounts for under 4,000. Do i do it? if i do, is there anything about the reporting status that i can do?

Message 11 of 21
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

You can ask them to not report "settled for less". They may not agree but it's worth a try.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 12 of 21
jrubedjmp311
New Contributor

The guy said no way they don't do that. It's a 3rd party that collects for chase but chase still owns the debt. I'm not paying them until I get the word from you haha

Message 13 of 21
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

This is just my opinion!! If it were me, I would pay the settlement. The sooner they are paid off, the sooner you'll start to recover. 1) You'll be improving utilization 2) You'll be getting further away from the "most recent late". You'll still have 1 card left with a balance but it'll put you that much closer to having them all paid off. Again...just my opinion

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 14 of 21
jrubedjmp311
New Contributor

Will it help utilization? I thought if it's settled the remainder would show as a balance. I hope I'm wrong

Message 15 of 21
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Also, I don't know if you've read anything about it, but settlement will cause the lender to issue you a 1099 for tax purposes. You'll have to claim the amount not paid as income unless you qualify for exemption.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 16 of 21
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

If you settle it will show a $0 balance

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 17 of 21
jrubedjmp311
New Contributor

Ok I'm going to do that. Next question.

Do you think chase would ever have me as a customer in the future?

Also, would a gw letter work to chase on the status after paid?

Message 18 of 21
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

You're probably not going to receive a GW from Chase but you can always try.

Search Chase blacklist and see if they'll let you back in, every lender is different.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 19 of 21
jrubedjmp311
New Contributor

Just spoke with the chase reconsideration line. He said there is no blacklist and settlement looks better when reapplying than not paying at all (obviously)

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.