Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repo/ Judgment Question

tag
hopefulinde
Valued Member

Repo/ Judgment Question

I had a repo on a car from Credit Acceptance in 2014 that is still showing a balance of $10, 500 on my credit report.  Credit Acceptance took me to court and we settled at judgment for $8k that I'm paying on.  Both the judgement amount ($8k) and the $10k balance are showing on my credit report.  Do I dispute the $10k balance since it's wrong? Or let things lie until I get the judgment paid off in full?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Repo/ Judgment Question

@hopefulinde wrote:

I had a repo on a car from Credit Acceptance in 2014 that is still showing a balance of $10, 500 on my credit report.  Credit Acceptance took me to court and we settled at judgment for $8k that I'm paying on.  Both the judgement amount ($8k) and the $10k balance are showing on my credit report.  Do I dispute the $10k balance since it's wrong? Or let things lie until I get the judgment paid off in full?

I would just let it lie until its paid, otherwise they are going to update it monthly, which is a score killer.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Repo/ Judgment Question

Your credit report can include the showing of the balance at time of charge-off/repo, as well as the current balance.

As you pay down the debt, they should reduce the current balance, but not the reported amount of the debt at time of charge-off/repo.

Creditors are often negligent at monthly updating of current balance as a debt is reduced, but technically, you could dispute and requrie they do so each month under the provisions of FCRA 623(a)(2). 

You may later be in a position of requesting good-will deletions once you have repaid the debt, so I would personally not make it a monthly issue, and wait for conclusion of payments, and then assure update to $0.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.