Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting CLI - Help!

tag
WontHeDoIt
Established Member

Requesting CLI - Help!

So I finally signed up for myFICO and my scores are showing 671 EQ 658 TU 634 EX. I need to work on credit utilization, I've shared this in a previous post. My question is - how do I know which CC may give me a credit line increase? This is solely to help with utilization. Any tricks to figuring out who to ask? Won't they pull my credit and that will HURT my scores by being an inquiry?

Also, my scores for the mortgage I need came in much lower than this just a month ago - do I ask for a credit file repull or work on lowering utilizationf irst?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Requesting CLI - Help!

Welcome. Please let us know what cards you have. Some HP, some do not. Some are easy CLI, some are not. Some have their own special little tricks. Without knowing what you have, there's no way to advise.

Message 2 of 8
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Your mortgage scores are a different version of FICO than the FICO 8 scores on here.  Continue working on your utilization before asking them to pull your credit again.  Research on the credit applications and credit card forum and that will help determine who is more apt to do SP CLI requests.  You're also getting to the point where you need to be careful that some of your cc's dont start balance chasing you.  I would worry about someone like Chase doing that more than Cap 1.  You definitely need to pay down the cards that are at or nearing 100%.   I don't think your Exp. score was high enough to get you a CLI from Amex.  Whens the last time you rec'd a CLI from Cap 1?  

@WontHeDoIt wrote:

So I finally signed up for myFICO and my scores are showing 671 EQ 658 TU 634 EX. I need to work on credit utilization, I've shared this in a previous post. My question is - how do I know which CC may give me a credit line increase? This is solely to help with utilization. Any tricks to figuring out who to ask? Won't they pull my credit and that will HURT my scores by being an inquiry?

Also, my scores for the mortgage I need came in much lower than this just a month ago - do I ask for a credit file repull or work on lowering utilizationf irst?

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 3 of 8
WontHeDoIt
Established Member

Cards I have:

Amex Green, Capital One Platinum MC, Barclays, Best Buy, Comenity (PotteryBarn), Marriott Rewards (Chase), Bank Of America Amex

I have not requested a CLI with any of these cards . . . 

Thanks . . . . 

Message 4 of 8
WontHeDoIt
Established Member

Cards I have:

Amex Green, Capital One Platinum MC, Barclays, Best Buy, Comenity (PotteryBarn), Marriott Rewards (Chase), Bank Of America Amex

Thanks . . . . 

Message 5 of 8
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

@WontHeDoIt wrote:

Cards I have:

Thanks . . . . 

I would research Cap 1 ( I don't think it's a HP), Best Buy, Comenity and Barclays.  I think those are going to be your best bet on CLI's

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 6 of 8
WontHeDoIt
Established Member

What's a HP??? Sorry, dont know that acronym.

Message 7 of 8
DollyLama
Established Contributor

HP is a hard pull inquiry against your credit report, SP is a soft pull inquiry, and will not show up to lenders or affect your scoring on your reports. Comenity for example, is going online and finding your link like request increase, or request credit line increase. If it only asks for the last 4 digits of your SS #, it is a soft pull. HPs are often full SS, with a disclosure that you give permission for a credit report. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.