Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Response from experience

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Response from experience

I am new to the forum, but have been reading on here for a while. I have been in the process of challenging a few items on my reports. I received a response from experience I wanted to see if someone here could help me with. I challenged two items on my report as not mine. I got a response from them saying that they will not investigate this information again. Am I still able to still challenge other information on these accounts such as date opened or something like that or am I stuck and can't do anything else with these accounts. Thank you for your help.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Response from experience

Hi and welcome! 

Please provide a bit more info about your situation. When do es it state that the last payment made was?   Who is the original creditor?  Has it been charged off?  Does a collection agency have it now?  If so, who?  

Why did you dispute this as not your debt?   

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

These are both paid charge offs that are paid in full. I think I made a mistake by challenging it as that, I thought I had read that it was good to start challenging as "not mine".  They were from chase and macy's.  

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you paid in full, did you pay Chase and Macy's directly or to a collection agency?

By disputing "not mine" to the credit report agency, they in turn contact the account and verify that it is you ( that they have your accurate identification info such as SS#, date of birth, etc).  If Chase/Macy's comes back with the correct info then your dispute as "not mine" is invalid and you can not dispute it as such agin, unless you have documentation of proof of fraud or id theft.

I would contact Chase and Macy's in writing asking them to correct your information on your credit reports.  Be specfic as to what you want.  If you paid in full to a collection agency send copies of your proof of payment as well.  And make sure they are reporting the balances as $0!

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Response from experian

Yes I paid both of them directly, but even though they say they not reinvestigate I can still challenge things like the balance and dates on the account right?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Response from experian

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes I paid both of them directly, but even though they say they not reinvestigate I can still challenge things like the balance and dates on the account right?

Yes, you can go to the collection agency for those disputes however in my experience it is better to deal directly with the original creditor when it comes to those matters because they are the ones generating that info on your report.  A few years back I was disputing similar items (dates and balance amounts) with Capital One and we went back and forth so many times via mail that they wounded up just deleting the whole trade line off my credit report to make me go away!  Smiley Very Happy

The credit report agency is simply going to ask Macy's "Is this correct?" and Macy's can say "yes" and then that's it as far as the credit report agency goes. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.