Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Response to DV letter from Riddle & Wood Attys at Law

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Response to DV letter from Riddle & Wood Attys at Law

I sent a dv letter to this attorney office req verification of debt which in the letter I req the documents showing my signature and also req that they send me thr license # proving that they are able to collect in the state of Illinois. I recevied a letter from them today stating, "We have advised our client of your req for verification of the debt you have disputed, per your rights under 15 U.S.C. 1692g. Our client has confirmed with us the validity of the debt and has asked us to forward to you the following info as verification of the debt.

Name of Creditor:  Asset Acceptance/Balys

Client Address

Account # xxxxxx

Total Amt Due: Confirmed

Last Paid Date: Confirmed

Is this sufficient. They r collecting on behalf of ths CA. The SOL runs out 5/09 and was opened sppsdly 5/99. I have no memory of this account. I also checked to see if they were legal to collect in Illinois and nothing came up for this Riddle & Wood Attys & Counselors at Law in Sandy, Utah. They did not send me thr license # as I requested showing that they are able to collect in the state of Illinois. What should I do next. This is not on my credit report any longer cuz it has been over 7yrs but I don't want it to reappear. I disputed this acct previously and it was removed. PLLLLLLLLLLLLzzzzzzzzz Help!!!!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Response to DV letter from Riddle & Wood Attys at Law

can you prove it's illegal for them to collect in Illinois? they don't have to prove to you they can, but it's the other way around. Nice of you to ask, but they have no obligation to comply with such request.

What they have sent you is indeed complete validation per FDCPA. the only open qiuestion is whether the amount they are asking includes interest and charges like collection fees: in that case, they should clearly indicate what is the otriginal debt and what are added fees.

when is the CRTP running out? if  it has run out, then it won't reappear on your credit report, if it's close it might reappear and go fast, but in either case they have another 4 months to sue you.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

What should I do next? If they eventually sue me, will it show up as a judgement on my cr? also the crtp hs alrdy ended. I believe someone opened up this balllys acct in my name. I have never had a membership with Ballys.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

you can be sued only if the account is within SOL - if the CRTP is already up, only a handful of states have SOL that goes beyond 7 years. You need to make sure the SOL has expired - in taht case, shoud you be sued, you only need to appear in court and state "my first affirmative defense is that the Statute of Limitations has expired on this type of debt".

If the debt is not yours, send a letter to the CA and state "this debt is not mine".

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ballys Membership, im assuming would be considered a contract and in the state of Illinois SOL on contract is 10yrs. What im gathering the SOL should be up 5/2009. So do I need to send the letter stating that this debt is not mine to the Attys offce Riddle & Wood or do I need to send it to the ca that refer it to the attys offce?
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

i would send to both. the Attorneys, unless informing you of legal proceedings, they are acting as just another CA.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.