cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resurgent Capital Services / LVNV Debt Validation Advise

tag
seanjames

Resurgent Capital Services / LVNV Debt Validation Advise

I sent LVNV and the 3 CRA's a  debt validation notice last month for an old capital one acct.  The reporting agencies just updated their status as valid and i received a reply from LVNV with a photo copy of one page of the capital one account statement and they also typed up an account summary report.

Correct me if i am wrong  ,   doesnt this constitute as improper debt validation ?

1. There was nothing included in anything they sent me that had a contract with my signature. Showing an old account acct statement does not validate that i owe anything.

2. I did not enter into any agreement with LVNV , so where is the proof of my signed  contract with them and that i owe them any money

I am trying to send responses   to LVNV  backed by debt validation veriifcations laws 

I also wanted to draft a letter to the 3 bureaus citing improper debt validation and another letter to the CFPB complaining about the bureaus for not doing due dilengece stating their method for validation. 

Please help with any laws or statements i need to use in my response.

Looking for advice 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Resurgent Capital Services / LVNV Debt Validation Advise

@seanjames wrote:

I sent LVNV and the 3 CRA's a  debt validation notice last month for an old capital one acct.  The reporting agencies just updated their status as valid and i received a reply from LVNV with a photo copy of one page of the capital one account statement and they also typed up an account summary report.

Correct me if i am wrong  ,   doesnt this constitute as improper debt validation ?

1. There was nothing included in anything they sent me that had a contract with my signature. Showing an old account acct statement does not validate that i owe anything.

2. I did not enter into any agreement with LVNV , so where is the proof of my signed  contract with them and that i owe them any money

I am trying to send responses   to LVNV  backed by debt validation veriifcations laws 

I also wanted to draft a letter to the 3 bureaus citing improper debt validation and another letter to the CFPB complaining about the bureaus for not doing due dilengece stating their method for validation. 

Please help with any laws or statements i need to use in my response.

Looking for advice 

Welcome @seanjames 

First off the CRA's have nothing to do with debt validations. Next LVNV will delete if settled or PIF. No need to go thru all this. Settle and off your reports the collection will go. Now as far as Cap1. They wont remove anything. Especially if its a charge off. So that baddie will stay for the 7yrs since the DoFD. Save all this stuff and settle the account. Theres never any "contracts" with consumers and CA's. There is with credit card companies in the fine print called terms and conditions. Good Luck!

Message 2 of 11
seanjames

I tried to do a pay for delete with LVNV and they said they dont delete. Which is why i am trying going through the debt validation process. The account statement they sent to me doesnt show any credit card charges. there is no contract with signatures in what they sent. 

I have heard of people getting success after a few debt validations. I am really frustrated with these guys and One Main. These are the last two items i need to get off my credit report. 

Message 3 of 11
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

There's really no set law/rule for what constitutes debt validation, so for #1 I just don't think you'd have a case.

For #2, there's never a signed agreement between a consumer and CA, but you did enter into an agreement with the CC company, and as part of their terms they mention selling off bad debts/hiring CAs to collect on delinquent accounts.

Also, debt validation doesn't mean they can't keep reporting, it just means they can't keep collecting until they send that info, and even then, they're really only required to respond if done within a "timely manner." This means within 30 days of their initial dunning notice. In your case, they didn't have to respond at all if they didn't want to, since presumably this was an old debt and they sent initial communication a while back, but they did.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@seanjames wrote:

I tried to do a pay for delete with LVNV and they said they dont delete. Which is why i am trying going through the debt validation process. The account statement they sent to me doesnt show any credit card charges. there is no contract with signatures in what they sent. 

I have heard of people getting success after a few debt validations. I am really frustrated with these guys and One Main. These are the last two items i need to get off my credit report. 

Thats weird. LVNV/Resurgent was doing PFD's for a while. I was gone for a bit. Maybe they went back to their old ways again. Cant find the statement on the website.

Message 5 of 11
tnhomestead
Frequent Contributor

If you go to the consumer finance protection board site they have a sample letter to send to the debt collector. Don't feel bad, heck I have a cap1 account so old that cap1 deleted it and pra still has it reached and on my account and I can't even get the info you got from anyone! But take a look at that letter and give it a try. Good luck

Message 6 of 11
Cowboys4Life
Frequent Contributor

@seanjames wrote:

Correct me if i am wrong  ,   doesnt this constitute as improper debt validation ?  Nope.  Not even close to improper.  The threshold for DV is so low you can trip over it.  ALL they are required to provide is the name of the OC, amount you owe and their address.  If they sent a statment that satisfies the requirement(s).

1. There was nothing included in anything they sent me that had a contract with my signature. Showing an old account acct statement does not validate that i owe anything.  The courts are all aware there is no signed contract in a credit card account and even if there was there is NO requirement they send a copy as part of DV.  Documentation is only required if there is a judgment or if they are suing you in court.

2. I did not enter into any agreement with LVNV , so where is the proof of my signed  contract with them and that i owe them any money  Oh but you did.  Read the terms and conditions of the card agreement for your account.  The OC can assign or sell the account at any time without your consent.  Under contract law when an account is sold the assignee gains all the rights and responsibilities of the OC.  That means any debt you owed at default is automatically owing to LVNV when they legally purchased the account.

I also wanted to draft a letter to the 3 bureaus citing improper debt validation and another letter to the CFPB complaining about the bureaus for not doing due dilengece stating their method for validation. Method of validation is a different dispute and is NOT required as part of standard DV.  

Please help with any laws or statements i need to use in my response.  There are none.  There is nothing they did wrong.  You really need to educate yourself on the FDCPA and FCRA before you go filing frivolous disputes and complaints.  You don't say what state you are in or when you defaulted on this account but if the SOL for suit is still alive you need to either settle this quickly or start studying pro-se litigation defenses because you may have simply kicked the hornets nest and prompted LVNV to sue you.

Looking for advice 

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like the advice you are following is that of a Youtuber debt repair guy... I'm pretty sure I know which one. Everyone here has given you good advice. Depending on the age of the debt, LVNV will PFD and possibly even for less or half of what is owed. Depends on who you talk to over there.

If you want this off your reports this is what I would do as it's what I've recently done (about a month ago) with LVNV on an old CreditOne account. Call and ask to speak with someone in their 'compliance department.' It's real, you'll get transfered. Ask if you can pay for half of what's showing (give them a specific dollar amount) if they'll agree to remove their account from the bureaus.

It's worth a shot as I know they can sometimes play ball.

Message 8 of 11
Joobie
Regular Contributor

LVNV definitely does PFD. I settled in full & they removed the account without me even asking. Give it another shot.

Starting Credit Scores:

Current Credit Scores:

Current Credit Cards (In Order of Approval):
Message 9 of 11
seanjames

Thanks everyone for advice. I will try and see if they will settle for deletion. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.