Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RetroActive CREDIT REBUILD PROJECT LOG

tag
retroAction
Contributor

RetroActive CREDIT REBUILD PROJECT LOG

RetroActive Credit Rebuild Project Log

I am in my late 20’s and up until 2012 my credit has been neglected for the most part. I plan to use this thread as a log of any actions that I take in regards to my credit repair and as a forum to discuss the ongoing project. I am using a credit report from each of the credit bureaus that was pulled on 10/20/2011 as my starting benchmark. I started this project in late 2011 but I have only recently found this forum and I am planning to ramp up my efforts going forward. From the start I want to say thank you to all of the myFico members for the mass of helpful information that I have already used as a resource and for all of the comments and shared experiences that I am sure to find helpful in the future. As you read this thread, please feel free to let me know if I am doing something unwise. I am here to learn and hopefully my journey will serve to help others in the future. I will also post links to forum resources that I find particularly helpful through this project.

Benchmark – 10/20/2011

EQ:

560-659

# Accounts Past Due

Recent Inquiries

Collections

Public Records

Baddie Revolving

Exp:

650 FAKO

# Accounts Past Due

Recent Inquiries

Collections

Public Records

Baddie Revolving

TU:

630 FAKO

# Accounts Past Due

Recent Inquiries

Collections

Public Records

Baddie Revolving

Baddie Revolving Account Info

BOA Auto Loan 72month (Open)

30x1

Chase CC (Closed, Paid)

30x1, 60x1, 90x1

Chase CC (Closed, Still owe 2K)

30x4, 60x1, 90x1, 120x3

Target CC (Closed, Paid)

30x6, 60x1, 90x2

Capital 1 CC (Closed,Paid)

30x1, 60x1, 90x1, 120x1

Capital 1 CC (Closed,Paid)

30x1, 60x1

Collections

CA

OC

Status

NCO Financial Systems

DirecTV

In Collection 

CMI

Charter

In Collection 

Credit Systems Int Inc

GME

In Collection 

Current Score: EQ Fico 651 (5/22/2012)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
My Credit Rebuild Project Log
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
retroAction
Contributor

MVP Thread List

This post will be updated occasionally as I come across especially helpful threads.

My Personal MVP Thread List:

GW Overview

CMS Overview

Message 2 of 18
retroAction
Contributor

Re: RetroActive CREDIT REBUILD PROJECT LOG

Immediate Actionable Items To Do List

1. All three of the CA reports are for invalid debts, gather information and send DV letters.
  2. Send GW letters to baddie revolving accounts.
  3. I only have 1 open CC, research the value of applying for more and which ones.
  4. My 1 CC has a 1200 CL and is at 90%, pay down.
  5. What CMS is the most helpful and cost effective?

Message 3 of 18
retroAction
Contributor

Previous Actions: RetroActive CREDIT REBUILD PROJECT LOG

10/20/2011 - Opted out of unsolicited credit checks.

In retrospect I now know that these credit checks are only soft pulls and do not affect my credit score. Will this block some of the credit resources that I otherwise could use such as pre-approvals and free credit reports? If so, is there a way to reverse this?

10/20/2011 - Disputed BOA late with CRAs

After reading this site, now I know that I jumped ahead a few steps. BOA verified the 30 day late with the CRAs. No change.

10/20/2011Success! - Called the President’s Office of DirecTV to dispute the charge. I talked to a very nice CSR who looked into the issue and then asked the CRA to delete the inaccuracy. 1 CA removed!

Up until this call I had an ongoing issue with DirecTV about this account, I requested service back in 2007 and their installer put the disk on a tripod on the lawn of the apartment complex I was at. Obviously this was against my lease terms and the apartment said the dish had to be removed. I called DirecTV back and through 3 more service calls they were not able to get the dish to work from my porch. Long story short they would not refund the $150 that they had charged me for the tripod and the dish but they took the rest of the equipment with them. I called DirecTV to confirm that my order was canceled but then they told me that I was under contract and I could not cancel because the installer had been initially able to get the dish to work(in the middle of the lawn at the apartment complex). After weekly calls and tons of wasted time, I gave up and it eventually went to collections. I was googleing around a little bit about it on 10/20/2011 and I came across a phone number to the President's Office of DirecTV. I called the number, immediately spoke to a CSR and received an apology and a deletion in less than 10 minutes. I don't have the phone number anymore but anyone should be able to find it just as easily as I did. Google is your friend!

Message 4 of 18
retroAction
Contributor

Previous Actions: RetroActive CREDIT REBUILD PROJECT LOG

04/27/2012 - Mailed GW letter to BOA at two different addresses (normals) for the 30 day late.

04/27/2012 - Mailed DV letter CMRRR to both outstanding CAs.

04/30/2012 - Emailed Chase Bank about a GW change to an account with 30x1, 60x1, 90x1.

05/01/2012 - GW Success! - An extremely nice CSR from Chase called me and said that they are removing the TL for me. Confirmation letter is in the mail. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@retroAction wrote:

Immediate Actionable Items To Do List

1. All three of the CA reports are for invalid debts, gather information and send DV letters.
  2. Send GW letters to baddie revolving accounts.
  3. I only have 1 open CC, research the value of applying for more and which ones.
  4. My 1 CC has a 1200 CL and is at 90%, pay down.
  5. What CMS is the most helpful and cost effective?

The most cost effective CMS for rebuilding stages is USAA Credit Monitoring.  It's 12.99/month for all 3 reports and you can get daily pulls to see any changes.  You don't have to be affiliated with the military.  The site will make you think so.  You have to first go sign up for the credit monitoring service, it will then prompt you to create a USAA login.  So many people stop at this point thinking they have to be affiliated with the military. 

Message 6 of 18
retroAction
Contributor

I stopped at that exact point. I am in the process of joining the Navy so I was thinking I would just wait on USAA but I guess I don't have to.

Thank you for the clarification!

For those looking for CMS information this thread is a great source.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

No problem.  Once you join the Navy, join Navy Federal Credit Union (have to have military affiliations or be related to someone who is).  One of the best credit unions around. 

Message 8 of 18
proudnavymom
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No problem.  Once you join the Navy, join Navy Federal Credit Union (have to have military affiliations or be related to someone who is).  One of the best credit unions around. 

My son just joined the Navy in July and I signed up with NFCU this week!

Starting Scores TU 7/30/09 FICO 493 EQ 9/5/10 FICO 477 EX 11/14/2011 (lender pull) 575
Current Scores TU 10/19/2018 FICO 671 EQ 12/21/2018 FICO 614 EX 5/31/2014 FICO 658
Goal Scores 700 across the board
Message 9 of 18
retroAction
Contributor

My father father is a Army vet and my brother is active duty Army, would I qualify for NFCU already?

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.