Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return Email from Creditor; What now?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Return Email from Creditor; What now?

So I reached out to my Student Loan Consolidation provider to see if they could grant me GW on the recent late payments that were on my credit report. I reached out to them via phone. The supervisor listen to my story  and let me know that they would email me there decision.

So here is the email:

Thank you for your recent telephone call.

This email is in response to your recent correspondence concerning your account(s). We understand that you are requesting delinquencies reported on your account(s) in the past be removed.

The Higher Education Act of 1965 requires that Great Lakes report the status of all serviced student loan accounts to the credit bureaus. Additionally, the Fair Credit Reporting Act requires that this information is reported accurately and objectively. We are audited to ensure our compliance with these requirements.

Upon receiving your request for an adjustment to the data that we credit reported on your student loan account(s), we re-evaluated to ensure no errors were made that would lead to, or result in, inaccurate delinquency reporting (such as misapplication of payments). No such errors were made.

We also reviewed your request for a possible credit adjustment, but unfortunately, you could not be approved for such an adjustment. Please continue to make your payments as scheduled each month, or proactively seek options from us anytime you are in need of repayment assistance. This could prevent future negative credit reporting on your student loan account(s).

Please let us know if you have further questions.

So what should be my next steps? Wait a week and send a GW letter?

Please advise.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Return Email from Creditor; What now?

Your student loan is obviously federally insured or guaranteed.

Under the Higher Education Act, due to the peculiarities of federal student loans, such as lack of expiration of SOL and lack of credit report exclusion while the loans remain delinquent, congress mandated that federal student loans be reported to the national CRAs.  Thus, deliquencies cannot be subjectively deleted.

You can complete rehab of the loan, and then pursue deletions.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rehab the loan? Do you mean consolidate again?
Message 3 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I think by "Rehab" it means you making payments agreed on between you and the lender that are reasonable enough for you to handle, and you pay thaf for a certain period of time. Then if done without issue, the loan . This I think eventually leads to the default line being removed. Basically, it gets your loans back on track from a payment perspective.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unless you are currently in default, you are pretty much stuck where you are. That said, being in default is far worse than being current with lates.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thank you 2kids2cats. I will just keep on it
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.