cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returning from overseas - how to start over?

tag
ericschmerick

Returning from overseas - how to start over?

Hi Guys,

I've been living in China for 7 years, and during that time I did a poor job of managing my finances in the US.  I also got divorced, and my ex- got the home we owned.  Now I'm returning, and I'm trying to figure out how the heck to get my credit back in shape.  Would love to hear some advice.

First, my goal:  I want to buy a house in the San Francisco Bay area, which means a home in the $500k range (entry level).  I have quite some cash saved up so a 20% down payment for a home in that range won't be a problem.

Second, my situation:

-  I'm 43 yrs old.

-  Before I left, I had a credit score in the high 700's, low 800's.  Owned a car (financed, then paid for) a home (mortgaged), several credit cards, etc etc.  Basically spotless credit (at least for my adult life), never missed a payment for as long as I can remember, extremely low (near zero) revolving credit usage, etc.

-  Having been gone for so long, I just sort of "forgot" about my US finances.  Gradually over time I moved all of my money, banking, etc to Singapore and China.

-  Unfortunately my 2007 and 2008 CA taxes got screwed up.  This is a very long story, but even though I had no tax liability in 2008 in CA, it tuns out I was required to file a return there because I was taking income paid from a CA company into a CA bank account.  I ignored the problem, it festered, and last year they filed a $26k tax lien.  They also filed a lien for 2007 in the amount of $2500.  I paid the $2500 lien, which should be released at this point.  I re-filed my taxes for 2008, which should result in a $0 liability and a release of the lien, but CA says it will take 5 mos for that process (!!).

-  I ignored my BofA banking account.  Eventually they charged me some kind of fee - like $16 - and since I wasn't around to get notices, after a few months they just closed my account.  Did the same thing with my credit card - they charged me some kind of $99 fee, waited for me not to pay in for several months, and then "charged it off".

-  I ignored my Chase CC account.  They were nice, and there were no fees or anything like that, but they closed my account for inactivity finally in Feb of this year (or maybe they saw my tax lien and decided to close it).

-  So, my credit score, according to CreditKarma, is now 600 - poor.  Smiley Sad

-  I have no home in the US, no banking in the US, and basically no record of existing for the last several years.  I do have, of course, tax returns showing substantial income from overseas, etc.

-  SUMMARY:  I have no "real" debt (the $99 "charged off" BofA CC, and two tax liens one of which is paid in full and the other which will be adjusted to zero within a couple of months I am sure), a fairly substantial amount of cash, a good income, and really crappy credit.

So my question is:  What advice would any of you have for a guy like me to go from zero credit accounts and a 600 score, to a 680 credit score in the shortest amount of time possible so I can get a good mortgage.  My target is year-end 2013 or sooner.

Beyond contacting the banks to re-instate my credit cards and accounts (I tried that with BofA, and short story version is they won't, at least until I show up in CA and hand them $99), I'm thinking of these things:

-  I am planning to buy a car when I land.  Let's say I buy a $30k car, I'm wondering if it might be better to try to finance it (if even possible), and say put down $25k and finance $5k for a year or two, just to have a positive account.

-  If I can't get BofA to reinstate my CC accounts (seems unlikely), I suppose I'm going to setup a secured CC with BofA.  Should I setup more than one secured CC for best results?

-  Any advice on how to handle the liens?  I notice as of today that they are both still showing on my report, even though I paid off the $2500 lien about 20 days ago.  I know that they won't go away (right?), but seems like at least they should show the lien as paid in full.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Returning from overseas - how to start over?

Long post but I think I got the idea of your situation.  So everything is pretty much paid.  You need to send GW letters to those.  Yes, a secured card or two will go quite a long ways in helping to establish your credit.  Financing your vehicle or part of it will also give you a positive TL.  Just try cleaning up the bad and add some good.  You should be just fine.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 7
chasmith
Valued Contributor

When you deal with BOA, be sure to get them to remove anything they may have filed on you with Chexsystems.  Otherwise you may have trouble opening a US bank account.  You seem to be willinmg to put up with them since you talk about doing a secured CC with them.  I would go into a the branch where you want to do business and try to pay the charges with a Chexsystems deletion, reopen the bank accounts, and open a secured card.

Search the forums for Chexsystems.  You need to understand the hurt that BOA reporting those closed accounts does. and may want to follow the procedure to get your Chexsystems report.  Depending on when BOA actually closed the accounts they may fall off.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 7
ericschmerick

Good advice guys, thanks for the feedback!
Message 4 of 7
ericschmerick

Cashmith, I read about chexsystems online, but its a bit of a mystery to me. The biggest problem is that when I try to login to their website, they will only MAIL the report to a US address. Since I have no US address, that's problematic!

When I called BofA and asked if I would have any trouble reopening an account, they have me the "pay the $99 (credit card fee) back, apply for a new account, and we'll see" type of answer.

I banked with BofA for 15 years and never had a single black mark on my account. I suppose I know the (dreadful) answer to this, but would a bank really report a long-standing customer to Chexsystems for an abandoned account and an unpaid $15 account charge?

Are there any places to view Chexsystems online, before I arrive in the US?

Thx again
Message 5 of 7
JustinNguyen
Contributor

You must go to Bank Of America and talk to manager and show them proof of over sea like you talking about. And pay for 99$. I think they can re-open your US bank. (remember bring your proof and bring 99$ pay for it. Ask them to help you. I think they will ask general manager of that bank remove it of your credit report.) it happened to my brother b4. It took 2 months for them to remove it out his credit report. Score from 590+ to 700s in 2 months.

You are... They are.... I am..... We have our heart. Bump Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 7
ericschmerick

Thanks Justin, encouraging story.  I'll give it a shot when I arrive in the US, and see how it goes!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.