cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruben and Rothman

tag
lilianajones

Ruben and Rothman

Has anyone had any experience with the LLC Ruben and Rothman? I just received a message from them stating that they are a debt collection firm. I called back twice but it was after five on a Friday so I guess they're out. I am going to worry about this all weekend, and I am trying to figure out if I have forgotten about some old debt. I checked an updated credit report and nothing has been reported and I have no outstanding balances that I can think of. What really freaked me out though was that when I googled them I came across numerous horror stories about how they have frozen bank accounts over old and tiny debts. Can any one give me any advice on how to prepare for the phone call I need to make on Monday morning? I thank you tons in advance!!!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Ruben and Rothman

@lilianajones wrote:

Has anyone had any experience with the LLC Ruben and Rothman? I just received a message from them stating that they are a debt collection firm. I called back twice but it was after five on a Friday so I guess they're out. I am going to worry about this all weekend, and I am trying to figure out if I have forgotten about some old debt. I checked an updated credit report and nothing has been reported and I have no outstanding balances that I can think of. What really freaked me out though was that when I googled them I came across numerous horror stories about how they have frozen bank accounts over old and tiny debts. Can any one give me any advice on how to prepare for the phone call I need to make on Monday morning? I thank you tons in advance!!!

Hello and welcome to myFICO.

I would wait on making that phone call for 2 reasons.

1. The overwhelming consensus around here is to never talk to a CA over the phone. All it will do is raise your blood pressure.  Smiley Happy

2. They are required by law to send you what is called a dunning letter within 5 days of initial contact with you. When you get that letter come back here and let us know what it says.

I'm sure you'll get other suggestions and advice about this. There may be others who have dealt with this CA personally and can give you tips. Good luck to you.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 16
lilianajones

Thanks for the advice. I just found some online information that stated the same. However, the minute I got the message from this firm I called them and left a  message. Was that a big mistake?

Message 3 of 16
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@lilianajones wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I just found some online information that stated the same. However, the minute I got the message from this firm I called them and left a  message. Was that a big mistake?

Just because you left a message doesn't mean you have to answer when they call you back.  Smiley Wink

Relax and enjoy the weekend and don't think about this.

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 16
lilianajones

Thanks for the quick response. I have worked so hard to rebuild my credit and I would hate for these folks to ruin it again, especially over something I am almost positive I don't owe. I'll wait for the letter. If I don't get a letter then should I disregard or...? Sorry to bug you but I could use the advice.

Also, would you have any suggestions about how I could get paid collections and accounts off my reports?

Message 5 of 16
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@lilianajones wrote:

Thanks for the quick response. I have worked so hard to rebuild my credit and I would hate for these folks to ruin it again, especially over something I am almost positive I don't owe. I'll wait for the letter. If I don't get a letter then should I disregard or...? Sorry to bug you but I could use the advice.

Also, would you have any suggestions about how I could get paid collections and accounts off my reports?

According to FDCPA 809 the CA has the obligation to:

Validation of debts

(a) Within five days after the initial communication with a consumer in connection with the collection of any debt, a debt collector shall, unless the following information is contained in the initial communication or the consumer has paid the debt, send the consumer a written notice containing—

(1) the amount of the debt;

(2) the name of the creditor to whom the debt is owed;

(3) a statement that unless the consumer, within thirty days after receipt of the notice, disputes the validity of the debt, or any portion thereof, the debt will be assumed to be valid by the debt collector;

(4) a statement that if the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, the debt collector will obtain verification of the debt or a copy of a judgment against the consumer and a copy of such verification or judgment will be mailed to the consumer by the debt collector; and

(5) a statement that, upon the consumer’s written request within the thirty-day period, the debt collector will provide the consumer with the name and address of the original creditor, if different from the current creditor.

If they do not send you the letter they are in violation. So just wait and see what happens. You do NOT have to talk to them over the phone. 

For paid derogatories your only option is to try GW(Good Will) letters to ask for early removal of the negative items but not the entire trade line. You can do a search here onsite for examples of GW letters and how others have done it. The creditor is under no legal obligation to grant a GW request but it does happen.You can also go to the Rebuilding Your Credit board and read more about this.

In fact since you asked about collections I will move this thread over there for you.

From a BK years ago to:

Message 6 of 16
lilianajones

I am so grateful for your advice....I will let you know what happens ...let's say around next Friday. I'll also check out the goodwill letters and give them a shot since I have nothing to lose. I'll keep you posted. Thanks a million.

Message 7 of 16
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Totally agree with marinevet.  Dont call them.  Wait for their formal, written collection (dunning) notice.   It is their duty,under FDCPA 809(a), to first tell you, in writing, who they are, who they are collecting a debt for , and how much the asserted debt is.

However, I would offer one additiobnal suggestion that could only help you.  If they do call again, I would take their call!  Yup, talk to them!

Let them dig their grave.  Talking to a CA is not always bad, as long as you know what, and what not, to say.

There are exceptions to the supposed rule to never talk to a debt collector.  And I think this is one.,  You can legally nail down their date of actual, personal initial communication with you.

"Initial communication with the consumer" is an important legal date.  Taking their call can nail it, and thus them, down,.

No matter how much they prattle on, simply tell then one thing in your scripted response:

"I consider your call to me as being an intial communication under FDCPA 809(a), and as such await your sending to me, within 5-days of this call, a formal collection (dunning) notice, explaining to me who you are, how to contact you, the name of the asserted credtitor for whom you are collecting a debt, their name and address,  the amount of the asserted debt, and your advisement of how I can pursue my rights to request validation of the debt under FDCPA 809(b).  Until I have your requried, written collection notice, I cannot repond furtther to this call."

Boom!  Nail down your date of intial communication.

But dont go a centimeter  beyond that........Do Not discuss ANYTHING regardling the debt, or any affiliation with the asserted OC.

Message 8 of 16
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

GW letters should be on your very most back-burner, if even on the stove.

You GW for removal of items in your credit report that you have acknowledged by payment of the debt.  That is not your situtation.

I doubt that this debt collector is very serious.  Using the name of an atty at law is usually just an intiimidating factor, implying legal action, but with the uderlying implication that it is ll smoke.

Until they have notified you of the relevant details of the asserted OC debt,  and your rights,by way of formal collection notice, it is nothing to be very concerned about.

I think this is a junk debt collector, with nothing more than an impressive moniker, with unimpressive substance.

Message 9 of 16
lilianajones

Hey guys, I heard terrible stories about this particular debt collector. I am a little intimidated by what I have read. But I definitely agree with and understand what you guys are saying so I won't call them and try not to stress . BTW I love the script...I will have it handy if they were to call me back. Question: Can they legally report anything to credit agencies without sending me this letter or contacting me?

The GW letters I was referring to were for derogatory accounts (paid or settled) on my credit report. They are about four years old and they are just sitting there making my report look terrible. I had some financial difficulties in 2006 and had several delinquencies (8) reported . I have since then paid outstanding balances (by 08 everything was paid) and I am managing my cards and have never been late with payments. My score went from a 449, 489, and 509 in 06 to 659, 656, and 663 this October. The problem is they have been this way for about six months or more. My scores have hardly moved up and I figured I should try GWs and see if the removal of these "baddies" would raise my score.  Do you know of any other ways to raise my score if GWs don't work? Thanks for the help.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.