Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SO bummed! She said no :(

tag
electra
Established Contributor

SO bummed! She said no :(

Some of you may remember my thread about trying for GW deletion for San Mateo County reporting of a ticket.  I had already written 2 letters and been told "we don't do that" by a revenue officer.  I found an email address for the SMC Treasurer and emailed her my GW and she responded that she was OOO and would get back to me Wed.  Well, she responded last night and said no.   Actually, she gave me the bit about it being illegal to delete from CR.

Here's what she said:

It appears that as a result of your non-payment of the tickets issued and the subsequent forwarding of your account for collection, this information was submitted to the credit reporting agencies.

Unfortunately, by law, we are unable to remove your information unless we were found to have made an error when initially reporting your account to them.  As you are aware, this was not the case.  There are no exceptions to this law.  Also, by law, once reported to a credit rating agency, your information must remain in their records for seven (7) years.  Once the seven years has expired,  the credit rating agencies will remove all reference to this collection item.

What we can do, is contact the credit rating agencies and advise them to post on your account that monies due to the County of San Mateo have been paid in full.  Anyone checking your credit rating would clearly see this statement.  This would be the extent to which I would be able to assist you, legally.

I apologize that I cannot provide the assistance you seek and wish you well in your efforts to keep your accounts current.

This has really taken the wind out of my sails. I'm so bummed about it.  I guess I shouldn't have allowed myself to be so hopeful.   It's my most recent one and will be on my credit until 5/2018.  Smiley Sad
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Re: SO bummed! She said no :(

The most difficult collections to accept are the small onesSmiley Mad.  That is really a bummer.  Would it work to point out to her that she has to report correctly, but nothing says she cannot delete?  Someone above her possibly?

There is still hope.

Message 2 of 8
jadeite788
Established Contributor

I am going to give you this tidbit that someone gave me.   You need to respond back to her again with this line:

While you do have to report accurately, the law also provides that you don’t have to report at all.  In fact, Section 623.a.7.e of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) states that you do in fact have the authority to remove negative, yet accurate information from a credit file if you choose.  The FCRA just requires any information that you do report to be accurate.”

Starting Score: 565
Current Experian Score: 634 (Lender pull)
Current Equifax Score: previous 668, 680 as of 11/12/13 lender pull
Current Transunion Score: previous 675,677 as of 09/23/13
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I do see this all the time.  There is a misconception of what can and must be reported.  It simply states that any information reported to your CR must be accurate.  There is nothing that says it has to be reported at all.  Some creditors only report to certain CRAs, some don't report to any.  I would try again and request for deletion of the information in a friendly GW citing this.  

Hoping the best for you!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 8
jadeite788
Established Contributor

You know what Shogun, I am going to steal  your credit scores so I can get my house this year. 

Starting Score: 565
Current Experian Score: 634 (Lender pull)
Current Equifax Score: previous 668, 680 as of 11/12/13 lender pull
Current Transunion Score: previous 675,677 as of 09/23/13
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 8
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Don't let it get to you. Some will say no, some will say yes. For the ones that say no, find someone higher up the food chain.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 6 of 8
electra
Established Contributor

Thanks guys!   I knew you'd cheer me up. Smiley Happy

I'll try again with her and cite the above.   I don't know how to go up the food chain in this case because it's County Government.  She is the Treasurer and I believe is elected. (Won't be getting my vote!!)  Smiley Wink    I guess I could try one of the Board of Supervisors but I kind of doubt they would care and not sure they have any authority there.

Message 7 of 8
madmann26
Valued Contributor

@electra wrote:

Thanks guys!   I knew you'd cheer me up. Smiley Happy

I'll try again with her and cite the above.   I don't know how to go up the food chain in this case because it's County Government.  She is the Treasurer and I believe is elected. (Won't be getting my vote!!)  Smiley Wink    I guess I could try one of the Board of Supervisors but I kind of doubt they would care and not sure they have any authority there.

You would be surprised at what the BOCC cares about. If they get a complaint from a constituent, they will take a look at it.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.