Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOL Questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

SOL Questions

Little back story, An old apartment I lived at recently put the remainder of my lease on my credit report, THEY HAD NOT ONCE EVER REPORTED PAYEMENTS even though they had stated numerous times to me that they would be doing so. Anyways, not the importance. I moved out before the lease ended in a way that did not break the lease itself. I gave them the written notice required and was out by the 1st. Now im assuming the rest here, but I believe they charged me because there was this silly super ugly and decrepid built in bookshelf that was broken when I moved in, and was noted on all the paperwork prior to my initial move in, and they never fixed it even after many maitenence requests, I went ahead and repaired it myself and I think that it was "broke" the lease. Now anyway, SOL here in Ohio, is 6 years no matter the debt, and I'm into about 3y6Mo into that, would it be wise to PFD or just wait out SOL. If the latter is the case, will it just fall off my credit or do I have to take any actions after that?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SOL Questions

How is it reporting?  Is it a judgment/public record or some other tradeline?

Message 2 of 5
Kree
Established Contributor

If you believe that you moved out with proper notice by the terms of the lease, and that they are reporting this charge in error, then I would not PFD.

As for the bookcase repair, if you did indeed send in multiple repair requests, not only are you within your right to repair it yourself, you can charge the property owners for the cost of repair. (perhaps not. consult a lawyer. Bookcases might not qualify like AC or plumbing does)

You can dispute the charge, escalate to a BBB complaint or a CFSPSAS complaint (spelling?) and if neither of those work, upgrade to a civil lawsuit.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Little back story, An old apartment I lived at recently put the remainder of my lease on my credit report, THEY HAD NOT ONCE EVER REPORTED PAYEMENTS even though they had stated numerous times to me that they would be doing so. Anyways, not the importance. I moved out before the lease ended in a way that did not break the lease itself. I gave them the written notice required and was out by the 1st. Now im assuming the rest here, but I believe they charged me because there was this silly super ugly and decrepid built in bookshelf that was broken when I moved in, and was noted on all the paperwork prior to my initial move in, and they never fixed it even after many maitenence requests, I went ahead and repaired it myself and I think that it was "broke" the lease. Now anyway, SOL here in Ohio, is 6 years no matter the debt, and I'm into about 3y6Mo into that, would it be wise to PFD or just wait out SOL. If the latter is the case, will it just fall off my credit or do I have to take any actions after that?

You need to investigate your state laws on Leases. Some states only allow the time that the apartment remained unrented to be charged to the previous tenent for a broken lease.

Message 4 of 5
Kree
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You need to investigate your state laws on Leases. Some states only allow the time that the apartment remained unrented to be charged to the previous tenent for a broken lease.

Very much this, I once had an apartment try to tell me I owed 6,000 for leaving my lease early.  They were wrong because I had used a valid escape clause and owed 0. But it was easier to show them that because they rerented the apartment 3 days after I left, that I only owed 3 days, and we settled for just a couple hundred, cheaper than taking them to court.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.