Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOL with Capital One

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

SOL with Capital One

HI All-

I received a debt verification letter from Weltman, Weinberg and Reis in Columbus Ohio.  The letter is dated 5/30/08.  It is asking me to respond in 30 days and is offering me a settlement amount. 

This account is one of two capital one  charge accounts that are showing negatively on my report .  The first one (the one I got the letter regarding), had a limit of 600, was closed in 05/03 by Capital one and currently carries a 1890 bal.  The second has a 300 limit, currently shows a 1200 balance.  DOFD is 11/2003

The date of last payment  on the first a/c is 7/2003.  The date of first delinquincy on the first is  7/2003.  The 81 month payment grid shows a charge off status as 08/05.

The 2nd accouht shows date of first delinquency 11/03, and a date of last payment 06/04.

My plan is to put a  dispute letter in the mail today CMRRR to respond to the letter, but I'm curious about the SOL and how it impacts my choices.

Acording to my credit report, Capital one is not reporting a date of last activity (equifax- the DOLA box has N/A in it,)  on either account, so I'm not sure how to calculate SOL.   The SOL for my state is 5 years.

My question is should I do something other than request a debt verification? Will responding to this first account put me in a weaker position with the 2nd account?

Thanks for helping me sort this out.  With all the bad on this site associated with capital one, I want to make the smartest moves possible.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SOL with Capital One

It should be the same as the last payment date...so they can sue you...up until 7/31/08 for the 1st account....and 11/31/08 for the second account...
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You say it was closed in May 2003 by Capital One but DOFD is July of 2003.......is that correct?
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sidewinder-

Thanks for getting back to me. 

According to the equifax report I am looking at:

acct 1

date opened  02/02
date of last payment 07/03
date major delinquency first reported 06/04
date of first delinquency 07/03

acct 2

date opened  01/01
date of last payment 06/04
date major delinquency first reported 06/04
date of first delinquency 11/03

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

SoL begins from the date of the last activity. So if you made a payment on an account that went delinquent 11/03, but made a payment 06/04, you reset the SoL. So now, instead of the account going SoL 11/08, the SoL "expires" 06/10.

However, the credit reporting time period doesn't go by the last payment activity on the account, it goes by DOFD (date of final deliquency), so for the above referenced account, it should fall off your reports around 11/08.

*** EDITED: Whoops!! I may have made a mistake: MOST states stipulate that payments reset the SoL, but not all. I meant to err on the side of caution, so to speak. Your state should define what constitutes "reset" of the SoL.

Also bear in mind that SoL expiring does not prevent a creditor from suing (a lot people do assume this) ... it just gives you a permissible defense once you're IN court. If you are sued, whether in SoL or out, you still MUST appear in court or else the plaintiff wins by default.

Message Edited by Wonderin on 06-29-2008 11:14 AM
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

FYI:

IF i CA sues you beyong the SOL, you can win a judgement in court for $1000 + attorneys fees based on violation of the FCRA.  I know this first hand when a junk debt collector tried to sue me on an account that not only was out of limitation, BUT also, not accurate! 
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
FYI:
IF i CA sues you beyong the SOL, you can win a judgement in court for $1000 + attorneys fees based on violation of the FCRA. I know this first hand when a junk debt collector tried to sue me on an account that not only was out of limitation, BUT also, not accurate!

I've never heard of that specific allowance under the FCRA. And with all due respect, I don't think that's accurate.

Why? Because legally the debt is still yours, even outside of SoL. The SoL's purpose is solely to give you a permissible defense against legal action for debt collections (i.e., judgments, but NOT other sorts of debt collection activities, such as contact, credit reporting, etc).

I'd have to say that chances are, you won on some other basis. Especially, since judges aren't stupid and will read in the briefs how long the debt's been owed -- and if you don't show up to present your "permissible defense of SoL" they win by default.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
FYI:
IF i CA sues you beyong the SOL, you can win a judgement in court for $1000 + attorneys fees based on violation of the FCRA. I know this first hand when a junk debt collector tried to sue me on an account that not only was out of limitation, BUT also, not accurate!

I've never heard of that specific allowance under the FCRA. And with all due respect, I don't think that's accurate.

Why? Because legally the debt is still yours, even outside of SoL. The SoL's purpose is solely to give you a permissible defense against legal action for debt collections (i.e., judgments, but NOT other sorts of debt collection activities, such as contact, credit reporting, etc).

I'd have to say that chances are, you won on some other basis. Especially, since judges aren't stupid and will read in the briefs how long the debt's been owed -- and if you don't show up to present your "permissible defense of SoL" they win by default.

Oops! Now I understand. I think you meant that you won in a court of law against them on the basis that they reported your debt outside of the CRTP (credit reporting time period).

The FCRA has absolutely nothing to do with the statute of limitations. One is the rules for how long a derog can report on your credit reports ... the other is how long a creditor can sue you for a debt.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

SOL's based on being sued depend on what state you reside in, also.  But yes, I used BOTH issues to my defense.  And won.  They reported inaccurate info to credit bureaus AND also sued once SOL was passed. 
FYI "wonderin", I think people in these forums are looking for information, not a lecture on why you should pay your debts, etc.  I am sure anyone, including yourself, who have had credit trouble in the past (like myself) or presently (like yourself) have heard enough lectures. 
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
SOL's based on being sued depend on what state you reside in, also.  But yes, I used BOTH issues to my defense.  And won.  They reported inaccurate info to credit bureaus AND also sued once SOL was passed. 
FYI "wonderin", I think people in these forums are looking for information, not a lecture on why you should pay your debts, etc.  I am sure anyone, including yourself, who have had credit trouble in the past (like myself) or presently (like yourself) have heard enough lectures. 

True, SoLs vary by state. But AFAIK, there is no law forbidding creditors from suing once SoL has passed. In fact, there are several laws in place that allow them TO sue. Any judge that penalized a creditor for suing (especially since we live in such a litigious country) would quickly find himself before the Bar.

Our right to sue is unalienable. No judge can take that away. Now a judge COULD penalize the plaintiff for bringing a frivolous or fraudulent lawsuit, but merely suing outside of SoL doesn't constitute a "fraudulent" or "frivolous" lawsuit. I think it's likely that you argued both that the lawsuit was invalid because of SoL AND that they reported inaccurate info and won because of the inaccurate info, but it's really impossible that you could have won on the grounds that the creditor sued outside of SoL.

And in case you misunderstood me, I was NOT lecturing anyone about paying their bills. I was advising the OP (and anyone listening) that being outside of SoL can give one a VERY dangerous sense of FALSE security. I've seen too many people believe legal "urban legends" such as restrictive endorsements being legal (very, very few states accept them) AND being outside of SoL as protecting them from lawsuits.

HOWEVER, if you ARE sued outside of SoL and are savvy enough on the law, you CAN file a motion to have the judgment dismissed due to SoL. But really, all that is, is asking the courts to reassess the situation and allow you another "bite at the apple." And even then, courts are notorious for not cooperating -- since just as the courts expect the plaintiff to take legal remedy within a certain amount of time, the courts expect the defendant to present their defense within a reasonable amount of time (meaning, at the time of the lawsuit).

TBH, I'd rather come off as being the B-word rather than risk some poor guy thinking he's untouchable due to SoL and end up with a judgment on his CRs. While I don't think it's TOO likely that the OP could end up sued, I'd much prefer that s/he be aware that it's a possibility and be wary rather than caught off-guard.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.