Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sad and unemployed. Really would appreciate advice

tag
golby260
Valued Member

Sad and unemployed. Really would appreciate advice

I've just found out this morning that my Bank of America (formerly Clout Financial) credit card account was charged off to Collect America/SquareTwoFinancial after six months of no payments.  Meanwhile, some person from the Law Office of [Edited to remove personal information-Marinevietvet, myFICO moderator] was calling me, claiming that they were going to take legal proceedings against me over the same account, even though I haven't gotten a letter from this man, yet.  Meanwhile, I have three student loans, two federal (Nelnet and Direct Loan) and another private (AES -- YAY!), that are coming after me for not having paid them for over 4 months each, the latter, 170+ days.

I've been looking for a job for years (since 2006).  But more importantly, all I can think about is if I had never entered college, I would've never have been in debt.  Of course, it's too late now to be wistful, but I don't know what to do anymore.

My BoA account balance is about $5038, total credit limit was $6900.  I was in a payment arrangement with Bank of America to pay it off $130 a month.  I was making progress, the balance remaining was around $4900, if only because it was my mother paying for me while I looked for work and focused on school.  Now I'm out of school, on the verge of dropping out, because I don't qualify for financial aid any longer (they say my grades are too low and I've been in school too long), and then Mom warned me back in August that she wasn't going to be able to keep paying it for me anymore, and then, suddenly, without her saying anything any further, no payments had been made from October on.  I wanted to try to arrange something with BoA, considering that it's my oldest account and it has the highest credit limit, but Mom refused to cooperate with me, saying if I didn't have the money, I didn't have the money, (it was not that big a deal -- they can't sue me, she said) so I was on my own.

I want to find a job, but I apply all the time, only to never get past those assessment questions on those online applications; I complete an application, and then, they tell me I'm not the one they're looking for.  I've only held two jobs and a volunteership within the past 10 years, the last job back in 2006 I had until my mom decided, on my second day of work, that I "don't need that job," that the overnight hours were too much for her (she has a car and a license; I have neither).

I feel able-bodied, but I don't qualify for most anything out there.  I can't do anything on my own.  I can't rely on anybody, but I'm currently trapped in a situation where I have no choice but to rely on others.  Everyone is good at blaming me for being in my current predicament, but whenever I vy for independence, no one wants to cooperate and help me get there.  Somehow I'm supposed to get a license and a job all on my own.  And even when I make the effort to apply for a job, apparently I'm not the one they're looking for -- I'm not extroverted enough, I guess I'm not pretty enough (I'm a woman), and I haven't had ten jobs since high school like a bunch of my other peers (I'm 27), so...

What am I supposed to do?  Can someone give me advice I can use?  I really need that.

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
mauve
Valued Contributor

Re: Sad and unemployed. Really would appreciate advice

It sounds like your mom is a piece of work.  No offense, but she told you to quit a job because you "didn't need it"?  My concern is that you agreed with her and did so.  I hope you don't make a mistake like that again.

Do you live in the middle of the country and there's no public transportation or low-end jobs?  If not, I think your first step is to apply for EVERYTHING.  And follow up.  When I was working in retail / food service, the best way I figured out to get a job was to apply and then harass them until they gave you a job.  I applied at a Denny's one morning around 9 am.  At 4pm, I called to check up on the status of my application.  The person on the phone tried to tell me that it hadn't been long enough, then she changed her mind and told me to come in at 7pm for an interview when the next manager would be in.  That manager came in and thought I was there for orientation because she was supposed to be doing orientation for someone else at the time.  I corrected her, she interviewed and hired me and put me through orientation anyway.

Places like that do get a lot of applications and they usually have high turnover - what makes you stand out is if you call THEM.  The people hiring are frequently overworked and may or may not be actively going through applications.  You stand out by pursuing them - if you're that serious about getting them to hire you, you'll probably be that serious about coming in to work. 

Don't give up.  Even if you need a better job than that to dig out of that hole, you will gain some traction, you'll be making a step, you'll be on your way.

Check out the student loan boards to see what your options are - you may be able to get them deferred or to get them changed to income contingent or *something*.  Also, you may want to consider bankruptcy.  That won't help with the student loans, but it will help with BoA.  There is life after this. 

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 37
sulaw00

There are others on this board that can give you specific examples on how to resolve each individual creditor situation that you describe below; however, I can give you some real life info that might help get you started in the right direction. 

First thing you need to do is take a step back from your situation.  You will get overwhelmed if you try to reconcile everything all at once - trust me, I've been there.    You need to try and perform a bit of triage.  In other words, figure out what your priorities are and start there.  Based on reading your comments below, I would say getting a job is priority number one.   I understand you've had some hard luck in finding a job but there are plenty of them out there....you just have to adjust your expectations.  Starbucks, Target and even McDonalds are all hiring (nationally) and require no experience to start - they also offer flexible schedules, fast track promotions and health benefits.  It may not be what you had in mind when you started college, but a job is a job.  At this point, you need an immediate source of stable income....you can continue your search on your off-time for jobs in your preferred field.  Second, do you live at home?  If not, move back as soon as you can.  Paying rent is just throwing away money at this point.  Third, I would contact all your creditors and find out what your options are - I too have an AES loan, they have worked with me in the past on setting up a deferred payment plan (as long as they know you intend to pay it off).  It's even easier for Direct Loans - you should easily qualify for forbearance.  You have to be proactive about your situation - calling your creditors will at least let you know where you stand.

Don't despair.  It may not make you feel any better, but there are always people in even worse situations than your own.  Come up with a plan and I promise you will feel better scratching things off the list.  Do whatever you can to stay in school...but don't worry if you have to take some time off to get everything in order.  It happens.  Take it from someone who has been there Smiley Happy

Ben

Message 3 of 37
golby260
Valued Member

ks for yoRe: Sad and unemployed. Really would appreciate advice

Thanks for your reply, Mauve.  I really appreciate it.

>>It sounds like your mom is a piece of work. 

Mwahaha... You have no idea. Smiley Very Happy

>>No offense, but she told you to quit a job because you "didn't need it"?  My concern is that you agreed with her and did so.  I hope you don't make a mistake like that again.

Well, what she did was tell me the day I was supposed to show up for my third day that she wasn't going to drop me there anymore, and that my brothers shouldn't comply, either, and my brothers agreed with her.  All because the employer was RGIS Inventory Services, and my older brother, who used to work for Wherehouse Music way back when (and also now has his own severe financial issues, worse than mine, even, many of them not his fault), kept telling her that RGIS, who used to do inventory for Wherehouse, is a terrible company, especially for college students, and that I could do better. (argh -- never mind that it was my first job in four years!)  My mom usually takes anything my brother says with a grain of salt, espcially when it's sensible and it contradicts what she believes, because she's stubborn and she hates arguing with him (she always loses); however, that second night of work, she had to come for me at 1 am on a Sunday night the day before she had to go to work (and for me, school), and she was annoyed to the point where she pretty much forced me to quit.  I no longer had a way to get to work, I didn't even have money to order taxi service, so I had no choice.

Thank you for being the first person in years to acknowledge that what she did was wrong.  My brothers usually have good heads on their shoulders, but they keep pretending like I had options and what Mom did somehow worked out for me.  *sigh*

>>Do you live in the middle of the country and there's no public transportation or low-end jobs?

I'm in metro Atlanta. XD  Not exactly "nowhere," but public transportation outside of the downtown area is virtually nonexistent. 

>>Places like that do get a lot of applications and they usually have high turnover - what makes you stand out is if you call THEM.  The people hiring are frequently overworked and may or may not be actively going through applications.  You stand out by pursuing them - if you're that serious about getting them to hire you, you'll probably be that serious about coming in to work. 

Does that work for jobs applied for online?  I always assumed that it wouldn't work for jobs with online applications.  I was always afraid that calling them would never work.  How recently did you apply for that Denny's job?

>>Don't give up.  Even if you need a better job than that to dig out of that hole, you will gain some traction, you'll be making a step, you'll be on your way.

Check out the student loan boards to see what your options are - you may be able to get them deferred or to get them changed to income contingent or *something*.  Also, you may want to consider bankruptcy.  That won't help with the student loans, but it will help with BoA.  There is life after this. 

Thanks for the encouragement.  The last thing I want to do is to give up. Smiley Happy  I also really don't want to have to file for bankruptcy -- I'm still a little young.  There are still things I want and need to be able to buy with credit (i.e.I really need a new computer), and it will be really hard to spend the next several years not being able to buy anything without cash, especially if I somehow still don't have a driver's license at that point.

Message 4 of 37
golby260
Valued Member

Thank you, Ben

>>Third, I would contact all your creditors and find out what your options are - I too have an AES loan, they have worked with me in the past on setting up a deferred payment plan (as long as they know you intend to pay it off).  It's even easier for Direct Loans - you should easily qualify for forbearance.  You have to be proactive about your situation - calling your creditors will at least let you know where you stand.

I should have included more info about myself:

I live in metro Atlanta, south of the metro, where the suburbs are slightly poorer and more crime-ridden than much of the rest of the area.  I'm very close to Atlanta, but some of the best job offerings are far off in the better-off suburbs up north.  I also have been living at home since late 2002.  I attended my first university in central Georgia (an hour south of home), and lived there on campus, and bombed out of there, so I've been living at home and commuting to college ever since.  Thank goodness I don't have rent!  That would've just made things worse!

I hate AES.  I wish I had never applied for one of their loans, but my current university had said I no longer qualified for aid, so I didn't have a choice if I wanted to continue the following semester.  I should've done what I thought was best and just looked for a job, but Mom was so hell-bent on not letting me drop out like my brothers had and finished like she did.  I had called AES through the number they told me to call, and I had some collectors threaten me with a lawsuit if I didn't pay them right over the phone that day.  That was last Tuesday, and I had my oldest brother pay for me some bogus processing fee, and I feel like I was ripped off.

If I had just had the three credit cards I have to deal with, things would've been fine, but I also have these stupid loans from attending the state universities I had in the past, the most current one costing way too much money than necessary to attend ($4K/semester).  I don't think I really wanted to be in college if it meant going to some state school, coming out of there with unpayably high debt, and having no job experience, regardless.  Waste of time, really.

Sorry for the whining.

>> Do whatever you can to stay in school...but don't worry if you have to take some time off to get everything in order.  It happens.  Take it from someone who has been there :smileyhappy:

Thank you.  I'm really not interested in going to school if my only pathway there is taking on more loans, and then, not even qualifying to take out more loans simply because my credit score is completely shot.  I just want work.  Forget school.  That can wait much later.

Message 5 of 37
mauve
Valued Contributor

So your being able to reliably get to work is basically dependent on getting there on foot, it sounds like.  If you have a friend you can rely on, see if you can get them to help you out.

College may not be for you, and maybe you need to work a bit to figure out exactly what you WANT to do. 

Given your situation, I have to disagree whole-heartedly with Ben.  Here's where I feel your priorities need to lie:

- talk to your friends - see if any of them would be willing to help you out by letting you crash on their couch or the guest room or *whatever* if you find a job close enough to them.  They know you've been unemployed - you taking proactive steps to get out of your situation may change how they'd feel about lending that hand.  You can agree to something like helping clean or whatever until you've gotten your first paycheck, and reasonable rent / utilities after that. 

- If one (or more) of them say yes, concentrate your job search in places that you can easily get to from their locations.

- Yes, I'd follow up by phone for online applications.  I absolutely would.  I'd also look for places where you can apply in person. 

- You can also try looking for jobs like medical billing or whatever that have the work-from-home option.

I sincerely believe that you need to figure out how to get out of your toxic home environment.  Your family sounds like they're primarily holding you back and making you feel guilty for not getting anywhere.  If my friend / sibling / whatever was unemployed, I would absolutely encourage them to work ANYWHERE (well, except for Vinny the Drug Dealer down the street or Slappy The Pimp).  If they had multiple job offers, THAT is when you try to convince them to take the better one.  

If you have to remain there, you really don't have another choice, just keep in mind that you need to realize that, for whatever reason, they aren't giving you good advice.  They may be stuck in their reality and believe very sincerely the bad advice they give you and the ridiculous demands they make - that doesn't make them the best decision for you.  

Check this out: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Parenting/story?id=5522191&page=1 

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 37
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

From personal experience, and except for finding DW, college was a waste of time. That's not to say though that I didn't have a lot of fun in the process. I'm a college drop out twice over (once involuntary (the fun!) and later voluntary). The last go around I did treat it seriously and pursued dual degrees in poli sci and econ w/ some graduate hrs tossed in there too. I never did graduate with a degree. Aside from getting sick my last year, I had started my own business and that grew at a rapid pace. At the same time I was working in my field and one day one of my professors came in and applied for a job and got it. I was his boss! That event convinced me that I was just getting broke advice from broke people and decided their teaching and advice didn't mean anything to me. Most of those that teach, with exception to many, lack the real world expereince to give me a good education. Now I'm not down on college; if you are a doctor and operate on me, I sure hope you are educated, but for many of the career paths out there, college isn't always the best solution. Some of the wealthiest people out there were college drop outs (e.g. Zuckerberg, Dell, Gates, etc.).

Message 7 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Obviously everyone is correct that a job should be priority #1, and you should be applying to any job opening you think you could get to, but also in the mean time, do you have anything you can sell? Jewelry, LCD TV, video games? Anything like that you should try to get on Craigslist and sell to get some cash to get your driver's license and if you can get enough money together, get a $500 beater car. If you can get a car, it will open up a lot more job opportunities for you, and you won't have to rely on anyone else to go wherever you want to go.

Once you have a car and a job, then you can worry about your debts. There is nothing wrong with paying cash for things you need. Once you have a job and some money you can try some of the techniques they discuss on this board to try and fix up your credit. It will be take some time, but you can get out from this hole. 

Message 8 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can offer some advice on the federal student loan issues that might help lighten the load emotionally (unfortunately not financially).  While I never like to tell people to not pay their bills, there are ways to put off some of the pain of those student loans.  Do some research into deferral of federal student loans and see if you can push them back a bit after you leave school.  I know people who have successfully deferred their student loans for over 6 years, but I don't know exactly how they did it.  If for some reason you end up in default on your student loans it isn't the end of the world because the department of education default resolution department doesn't file lawsuits as far as I've heard, but will take offsets out your tax returns until it's paid back.  Though this sounds bad there is an easy way to reverse it once you find gainful employment.  When you can make regular payments contact the default resolution department about "loan rehabilitation" which will move your loans back to the original lenders in good standing after a certain number of consecutive on time payments.  Hope this helps a little and hope you find work soon.

Message 9 of 37
sjt
Senior Contributor

Hi,

In my opinion you took a step in the right direction by coming on to this board a writing about your situation. That tells me that you are acknowlede and want to do something about it.

To me its about moving forward and putting yourself in survivior mode. The first thing you can do is contact AES Student loan and get a deferment or forbearance. Here is a link to to AES Deferment and Forbearance site: http://www.aessuccess.org/manage/trouble_making_payments/postpone_payments.shtml. Unemployement is one of the criterias for derferment or forbearance. You can also contact the other Student Loan companies and request a deferment or forbearance as well. Once you get back on track you can contact the Student Loan Comapny and make a plan. I hear with guaranteed student loans once you work out a plan they delete that past delinqencies.

Go full speed ahead with finding a job. I agree with others that you should look for anything. Starbucks and Target are a good place to work. Dont just rely on online applications. Go to the stores in person.

Your not alone as there are many people in your situation. What matters is how you handle it and the steps you take.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.