Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sad and unemployed. Really would appreciate advice

tag
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

Re: Sad and unemployed. Really would appreciate advice

Hi Golby,

Great places to search for job opportunities is Indeed.com, linkedin, and even craigslist. However, before you even think about applying to any of these jobs, make sure you have the fundamentals:

1. Resume and cover letter: Your resume  layout should NOT be a template obtained from Microsoft word. Make sure your resume is customized to the job position you are applying for. Most importantly, do NOT just list job descriptions, but achievements and things you've accomplished that has benefitted the company/ org you worked for. Did you consistently meet or exceed your targeted goals? Be sure to include #'s and percentages. Resume must be free of any typos, errors, etc. Precise date of employment is also important.

2. Before sending out a resume, be sure to research the company ( as well as their industry) that you are wanting to apply to. Once you do that and have an good grasp on their company, culture, etc... call them and ask to speak with HR, manager, or whoever is in charge of hiring. It is a good idea to get to generate rapport and show them that you are wanting the position. The objective of speaking directly to the HR person is so that he/ she will remember you when going through applications. After you have demonstrated interest and rapport, the HR will then usually request your resume. 

3. Submit resume/ cover letter, and do a follow up call with the HR rep that you spoke with. Ask if they have received it and see if you can find out when do they plan on making a decision. Do not mass e-mail a cookie cutter type of resume. HR can tell if you didn't put any effort at all in the application process. Its your job to personalize the resume and to sell yourself. You want to convey to them that you are wanting long-term and lifetime employability. 

4. As for those pre-assesments, its important to take your time on those. Most people rush, but little did they know, the exam is secretly being timed in the background for validity reasons. Always be truthful. The questions that ask "I am always on time, I never lie," or anything absolute... pay close attention. These questions measure your integrity. 

I could go on, but these are the general rules. Do not give up or get discouraged! We've all been through that process.  Your objective should be to sell yourself and figure a way to differentiate yourself from the other applicants so the HR will remember you. Feel free to PM me anytime your need advice or help. I've helped many of my friends through this process and have been able to either land them an interview or a job. 

AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 11 of 37
golby260
Valued Member

Thanks everyone for their replies thus far.  I have a new question.

I have a certain law office that called for the collection agency my Bank of America credit card account was sold to.  Their first guy, the same one I mentioned in my OP, BTW, called me yesterday (4/22/2011).  Today, some woman called me to follow up, I guess.  I really don't know how to deal with these collectors.  Am I too honest?  Anyway...

She was requesting that I find some way to get money from my mom or anyone else before she calls me again on Monday.  I guess she's expecting me to sell a car or whatever else will satisfy her with the $5000 I owe on the account.

What should I do?  My mom thinks that I should quit talking to her, ignore any and all future calls from this law office, and just go on with my life.  She believes that, since I don't have a job, that that's enough to protect me against any lawsuits lodged against me over my debts.  "You don't have a job!  No judge is going to pay heed to any lawsuit suing you for debt!"  she claims.  "Everyone else in the country is in the same boat you are!  No one's going to sue you, because they'd have to bring a whole bunch of others who are broke into court with you."  

Something tells me she could be wrong.

Why should I do about this collector?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Message 12 of 37
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

Ignoring is the worst thing you could do. My former roommate owed rent to my apartment complex but decided to skip out and move. He changed his phone # and fled. A month after the skip, he was served with a summons and the management obtained a default judgement on him. Now, he's got a judgement with an attached 5% interest and a judgement on his report. You certainly do not need this. 

I think its in your best interest to communicate directly with Square 2 and work out a payment arrangement. 

AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 13 of 37
laz98
Senior Contributor

@golby260 wrote:

I want to find a job, but I apply all the time, only to never get past those assessment questions on those online applications; I complete an application, and then, they tell me I'm not the one they're looking for.  I've only held two jobs and a volunteership within the past 10 years., the last job back in 2006 I had until my mom decided, on my second day of work, that I "don't need that job," that the overnight hours were too much for her (she has a car and a license; I have neither).

I feel able-bodied, but I don't qualify for most anything out there.  And even when I make the effort to apply for a job, apparently I'm not the one they're looking for -- I'm not extroverted enough, I guess I'm not pretty enough (I'm a woman), and I haven't had ten jobs since high school like a bunch of my other peers (I'm 27), so...

i don't really have any advice, good or bad; i just wanted to say that i do actually know how you feel.  i'm pretty much in the same position.  i really have nothing to put on a resume, much less just spiff up a resume.  i know that i don't interview very well, but even on the occasions that i have gotten called back for a 2nd interview, i never hear back from them.  it's very discouraging.  i want to work & bring some income into our household, but it just seems like i'll never get a chance!  i feel like trying to focus on my studies was actually a bad idea as far as getting employment is concerned.  i feel like by the time i do get a job, i'll be at the age where they'll be thinking about kicking me back out the door soon!  anyway, just wanted to say you're not alone in your predicament.  Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 37
golby260
Valued Member

@Chopbrocoli wrote:

Ignoring is the worst thing you could do. My former roommate owed rent to my apartment complex but decided to skip out and move. He changed his phone # and fled. A month after the skip, he was served with a summons and the management obtained a default judgement on him. Now, he's got a judgement with an attached 5% interest and a judgement on his report. You certainly do not need this. 

I think its in your best interest to communicate directly with Square 2 and work out a payment arrangement. 

I want to do a payment arrangement, actually. 

The problem is I have no job, and that I'm stuck like this in the first place because my mother said she couldn't pay the bills for me anymore while I looked for one; plus, she believes that it's somehow in my best interest to tell them I have no income whatsoever than to make someone else responsible or at least borrow money from them.  My only remaining alternative is my oldest brother, and he already paid a processing fee to my AES loan last week.  I'm not comfortable with asking him for money -- he has a job, and he has a habit of criticizing me nonstop whenever I ask him for anything.

"Why can't you get a job?  Why did you have to be an English major?  blah, blah, blah..."

I'm not sure how to proceed.

Message 15 of 37
sjt
Senior Contributor

My thought would be to write them and explain you situation that you do want to make a payment plan but have no job. Explain that to them when they call and also mention that loans from family or friends is not an option. If they ask you why you can't find a job, explain to them that you have been trying.

The posters have given you some great advice on job searching and I would also start hitting the pavement and apply in person for jobs. Ive been in your situation and its just a bump on the road. You will get past this and it will get better.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 16 of 37
mauve
Valued Contributor

And figure out a way to tune out your mother. 

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 37
sjt
Senior Contributor

@ Mauve-LOL!!!

But seriously Mauve made a point. Ultimately people can give all advice you'll ever want to hear and you should listen to them with an open mind, but you are responsible for you actions. Your mom and siblings are not going to have to deal with the outcomes (collection calls, bills, no job) of the advice they gave you.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 18 of 37
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

I would explain to Square 2 your situation (preferably seek a manager for your particular situation). No communication is perceived by the collectors that your skipping out on the debt. 

Although you have a degree in english, have you ever thought about going into financial services? I've actually recommend one of my friends that recently graduated with a biology degree to go with Mass Mutual here in Dallas. Reputable companies like Mass Mutual, Liberty Mutual, Northwestern Mutual, etc accepts all degrees. You'll get the opportunity to work as an advisor and plan your prospects financial future (whether it be insurance, securities, and various financial products). Great commissions, residual, and stability. If you enjoy working, meeting, and helping people out... this is something I highly recommend you look into.  Good luck and keep us updated! 

Message 19 of 37
golby260
Valued Member

>>I would explain to Square 2 your situation (preferably seek a manager for your particular situation). No communication is perceived by the collectors that your skipping out on the debt. 

I do want to call them directly, because the lady I talked to at Bank of America, when I found out about my card being charged off (they didn't even e-mail me or tell me about the card in writing, I just got a call from some guy representing that lawyer), she gave me Square 2's number.

Is it better to talk to Square 2, or to keep talking to that lawyer's lady?  I feel like talking to that lady will go nowhere -- she's expecting me to perform divine miracles before Monday, and then, threaten me with lawsuits for telling her I'm only human.  She was telling me they could put on their records that I am initiating a "refusal to pay" just for being broke.  I tried calling Square 2 on Friday, but I kept getting hold music.

>>Although you have a degree in english...

Sadly, I don't yet have a degree.  I think I was too depressed all this time to do any of my classes.  I was fine my first three years in school when I went to a two-year college after I had left my first university, and I only had two more classes left to get an Associates with, but Mom, since she has the car and the money, kept insisting that I hurry up and transfer to a four-year college.  As soon as I transferred to my current university, I did so horribly that I've pretty much wasted five years of my life getting absolutely nothing done.  The whole reason I have an AES loan to begin with was because my mom kept forcing me to go back to school, and silly me, I thought if I just [kept doing the same things over and over again] that I could put my mind to it and finish(!) (Yeah, right), and my university denied me financial aid on the basis on lack of completion in classes (I kept dropping them) and low grades (most of the ones I didn't drop, I failed), so I resorted to that private loans to make up the difference, and that was a bomb, too.

>>, have you ever thought about going into financial services? I've actually recommend one of my friends that recently graduated with a biology degree to go with Mass Mutual here in Dallas. Reputable companies like Mass Mutual, Liberty Mutual, Northwestern Mutual, etc accepts all degrees. You'll get the opportunity to work as an advisor and plan your prospects financial future (whether it be insurance, securities, and various financial products). Great commissions, residual, and stability. If you enjoy working, meeting, and helping people out... this is something I highly recommend you look into.  Good luck and keep us updated! 

If any of them would be willing to hire someone based on technical degrees or certificates, then, at least, I might be able to plan towards transferring towards a state tech school and going from there.  I've been interested in doing something business- or finances-related for a while that didn't require a four-year degree (I won't accept any other Bachelors than English -- I've worked too long for this).  I would really like an office job.  My last volunteership was organizing items in a library.  I'd really like a desk job again, because I don't think, if I look for jobs that require customer service skills, that I'll even get hired, never mind keeping that job.

Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.