Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sad and unemployed. Really would appreciate advice

tag
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

Re: Sad and unemployed. Really would appreciate advice

I'd go with Square2. Since they are the ones that own your account, they will be able to recall the account from the attorneys office. Another thing you might want to do is do a search on LinkedIn and see if you can find an e-mail to an exec at Square2. From there, you might be able to get a better response compared to a floor rep. 

Heres a link: http://www.linkedin.com/search/fpsearch?companyId=703562&sortCriteria=R&keepFacets=&facet_CC=703562

AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 21 of 37
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

Another thing is.. have you ever thought about working in collections? I know collection agencies are always hiring. Thats where I started. 

AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 22 of 37
golby260
Valued Member

Alright.  I called Square 2 today, and they immediately referred me back to the law office.  Then, I called the law office, and the lady on the phone there kept insisting that I come up with some substantial down payment in order for them to work with me.  I kept telling her I didn't have the money, and she was like, "I'm sorry; I can't work with you unless I have something to work with."

So, magically, I'm supposed to come up with probably $2500, money I've never had, in order for them to do anything with me.

So, what else are my options?  I'm beginning to think that Mom was right -- just forget them, since they won't work with me, let them sue.  It's not like I've been given any other choice.

Message 23 of 37
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

Have you tried to speak to someone in upper management? Floor reps have such limited capabilities, that all they can do is refer you back to the law firm. If I were you, I'd call their corporate # and see if you can get in reach with an exec or someone in management. 

Message 24 of 37
golby260
Valued Member

I called them back today, and I got who is actually my account manager, who was the first man who called me, back in the OP.  He said that he's willing to work with $500 and a subsequent payment arrangement, but I have to contact him by 5:00 pm today (presumably EST) to set it up, or they'll start up legal proceedings, I guess.

All I can do now is ask my brother, and I half-heartedly asked him earlier, and he said that he's hard up for money.  All I can do is ask again now, right before he goes to work within 20-30 minutes after he's out of the shower. :/

*sigh*

Message 25 of 37
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

Account manager is still not high enough on their organizational chart. Perhaps you can reach with someone higher up? And if so, offer a $100 payment in good faith just to start out?

Message 26 of 37
DI
Super Contributor

OP, you are worrying yourself too much.  Most people who just don't have the money to set-up payment arrangements would ignore the collection calls and not contact them.  All they can do is sue you.  If you have no money and no job they can't get anything.   If you're not able to pay the full amount requested, I wouldn't pay anything.  Paying them $100 or $500 is a waste of money. The fees that they're going to continue to add will suck it up.   That money can be used  for something that's going help you get to and from a job when it comes. 

Message 27 of 37
golby260
Valued Member

I don't think trying to contact a higher-up and then, giving him $100 will work, since I was already giving them $130/month before all of this happened.  And now my brother won't give me money. 

Tempted to tell them to post-date a check today, and then, try to beg others and get the money later, probably by the 29th.

Not interested in giving up..

Message 28 of 37
sjt
Senior Contributor

I agree with DI.

Why commit to a payment plan if you have no job. The bottom line for a collection company is to collect money. My first priority is to find a job then work out a payment plan.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 29 of 37
golby260
Valued Member

@DI wrote:

OP, you are worrying yourself too much.  Most people who just don't have the money to set-up payment arrangements would ignore the collection calls and not contact them.  All they can do is sue you.  If you have no money and no job they can't get anything.   If you're not able to pay the full amount requested, I wouldn't pay anything.  Paying them $100 or $500 is a waste of money. The fees that they're going to continue to add will suck it up.   That money can be used  for something that's going help you get to and from a job when it comes. 

Now, you're sounding like my mom.  Smiley Very Happy  That isn't either a compliment or an insult..

I've been wondering that myself.  They're expecting something by 5:00pm today.  Shall I ignore them, then?

Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.